Post-Bacc Programs in NYC SLP

Yari

I need some help with searching up a Post-Bacc program in NYC for Speech and Hearing. I just graduated with my bachelors degree in SLP with an overall 3.1 GPA. I also took two minors ( Education and Counseling) the GPA for both of those are above a 3.8. But my GPA for speech is just at a 2.9. HORRIBLE! I interned in a school and shadowed a bilingual SLP, I've also been working with children, before in a daycare, and now I have a job in a school working with young children as well. I was very involved during my 4 undergrad years outside of speech. From taking on internships in the education dept, to being part of a school organization. So I have everything from my pre-reqs, to the 25 hours of observation for speech. But I just want to increase my GPA, because I know how competitive schools are. Anyone has any advice for me? I am also planning on retaking my GRE's and volunteering. And I was wondering how retaking these classes will affect my admission into schools? I just want to get into grad school in time, I feel like time is flying and I am getting nothing right! 

Edited by Yari

On 8/12/2016 at 0:33 PM, Yari said:

I need some help with searching up a Post-Bacc program in NYC for Speech and Hearing. I just graduated with my bachelors degree in SLP with an overall 3.1 GPA. I also took two minors ( Education and Counseling) the GPA for both of those are above a 3.8. But my GPA for speech is just at a 2.9. HORRIBLE! I interned in a school and shadowed a bilingual SLP, I've also been working with children, before in a daycare, and now I have a job in a school working with young children as well. I was very involved during my 4 undergrad years outside of speech. From taking on internships in the education dept, to being part of a school organization. So I have everything from my pre-reqs, to the 25 hours of observation for speech. But I just want to increase my GPA, because I know how competitive schools are. Anyone has any advice for me? I am also planning on retaking my GRE's and volunteering. And I was wondering how retaking these classes will affect my admission into schools? I just want to get into grad school in time, I feel like time is flying and I am getting nothing right! 

Not sure how retaking the classes will affect your admission chances, but I would think it shows you are working to improve your grades. I live in the NYC area and am taking my post-bacc courses online (I don't have an undergrad degree in speech so need them for some of my applications). Both Northwestern and Sacred Heart have online post-bacc programs for speech. The application for Northwestern is a little more intensive and I can't remember what the deadlines are like but I really enjoy the courses there. It's asynchronous so you do the assignments each week at your own pace.

Sacred Heart's courses are also asynchronous. If I remember correctly they have rolling admissions and you just need to submit your transcript and they approve you to register.

Hope that helps!

8 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

Not sure how retaking the classes will affect your admission chances, but I would think it shows you are working to improve your grades. I live in the NYC area and am taking my post-bacc courses online (I don't have an undergrad degree in speech so need them for some of my applications). Both Northwestern and Sacred Heart have online post-bacc programs for speech. The application for Northwestern is a little more intensive and I can't remember what the deadlines are like but I really enjoy the courses there. It's asynchronous so you do the assignments each week at your own pace.

Sacred Heart's courses are also asynchronous. If I remember correctly they have rolling admissions and you just need to submit your transcript and they approve you to register.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I actually registered to take some courses online at Utah State University. Hope everything goes well with these classes. Good luck getting your degree!