Will I even get accepted?

I took the GRE two weeks ago and did absolutely awful (Verbal: 148, Quant: 148, Writing: 3.0). I'm going to take it again, but fear I won't do much better. Will this seriously hinder my chances of getting into graduate school?

imo It's definitely in your best interest to re-take the test. (I'm not sure I'd want to submit those scores for my applications)

I'd say you want to improve that writing score for sure, and improving that verbal score will be very beneficial as well. Since you're in SLP, I think your quant score should be fine, just focus on the writing and verbal. There are online resources you can use to improve these. I used Magoosh, and found the video's on writing particularly helpful. (I don't work for them in any way, just speaking from my own personal experience)

Edited by charlemagne88

Many schools have a 150 cut off for each verbal and quant, but there are several schools with lower limits - I would do a search in this forum for "less competitive" schools, and keep that in the back of your mind while you prep for the next GRE you're planning on taking. I highly suggest drilling practice tests for the full four and a half hours, because part of this is an endurance game.

Also, this is the guide I used when I was trying to figure out the essay writing part, and it was very helpful:: https://www.reddit.com/r/GRE/comments/3jo4e0/170q_165v_60_awa_my_writing_guide/

GRE scores are important, but certainly not everything! I had a similar score (both were under 150) but my writing was a 5, and I got accepted into a great program! If you plan on re taking it, I would try and focus some time on the writing and the verbal section for sure. It also depends what your GPA is and your experience to put on your resume! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2016 at 2:55 PM, Gabby said:

I took the GRE two weeks ago and did absolutely awful (Verbal: 148, Quant: 148, Writing: 3.0). I'm going to take it again, but fear I won't do much better. Will this seriously hinder my chances of getting into graduate school?

Like others have said, there are programs you can get into with under a 150 - find those programs and focus on them. Also, how does your GPA compare to your GRE? They're generally indicators of the same thing - if your GPA is strong it'll help balance out that part of your application. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on where you're applying. For most of the schools I'm applying, 147-148 is their minimum. Of course it would be ideal to increase your scores, but if they don't, just make sure the rest of your application is as strong as possible!