Eternal Frustration with the GREs and Test Standards!

gevault

Hi all, I wanted to tell my story and also seek some guidance about my grad school application situation.

I am applying to marketing PhD programs in hopes of starting up a program in fall 2017. However, I am very nervous about my GRE scores, since it seems like literally every program I check claims that a majority of their accepted applicants have absurdly high scores between the 90th and 100th percentile. I noticed this when I applied to similar programs last year, and was predictably denied from all 10 of the programs I applied to.

In my interview with Rutgers, the PhD coordinator told me I had a stellar application package, with the exception of my "lackluster" GRE scores (V: 158, Q: 153). Just last week, I retook the GREs in hopes of significantly increasing my scores. My verbal score stayed the same, but my quant score went up to a 159. Most sites I check say that these are, for all intents and purposes, respectably decent scores, but I feel like they still aren't super competitive, especially if they're pitted against these "90th percentile programs."

I am afraid I will be denied again, despite all the hard work I put into improving my application package and my scores. 

I guess my major questions are:

• Should I retake the GRE again and see if maybe I can do a bit better?
  • What marketing PhD programs would you recommend applying to with my current GRE scores?
  • Am I doomed? :(

Thank you all in advance for your help and words of wisdom. Applying to grad school is a really scary process (perhaps even more so the second time), and I guess I'm just looking for some small sense of security that I have a chance.

Edited by gevault

Hi gevault,

By their nature, most PhD Programs are remarkably competitive - since there are so few 'spots' relative to the number of applicants. As such, the Admissions Committees really 'nitpick' each application. If a common response to your application is that your GRE score just isn't high enough, and earning a PhD is your ultimate goal, then you have a couple of choices:

1) Re-train for the GRE (in a different way) and try to score higher.

2) Apply to different Schools that might be less competitive.

Can you provide more information about how you studied for the GRE before? How long did you study? What materials did you use?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Hi Rich, I appreciate your helpful response! My ultimate goal is to absolutely go the PhD track, so I have decided to take the GRE again. I have discussed this with a couple professors I had in undergrad, and they both encouraged me to give it one last shot. The logic is that if the difference between a good and great career path is the difference between a good and great program, I should do everything I can to make it into that great program — even if it means forking over a couple extra dollars to do so. 

Altogether, I have decided to follow both of your pieces of advice. Not only am I going to take the test again, but I also plan on applying to less selective programs. Last application cycle, I made the critical mistake of applying almost exclusively to reach programs, failing to consider how competitive business school PhD programs actually are. I am currently compiling a list of schools more within my current GRE score range, and I have found that a 317 aggregate score isn't too far off from the average scores of accepted students at Tier-2 schools. Still, I definitely want to go for more security than that. My hope is to get at least a 320 on my next (and hopefully last) GRE.

For my previous test, I studied (see also: crammed) for a solid month. I paid for a six-month Magoosh subscription and watched a majority of their math lessons, since the math section is what I struggled with most in the past. A lot of it was just reminding myself how to do high school-level math (e.g., exponent, permutations, probability). I was even doing consistently well on practice tests. I scored a V: 164, Q: 163 on a Magoosh practice test and even managed a V: 170, Q: 166 on an ETS Powerprep test. I felt super confident going into the exam, but maybe nerves just got in the way. So much for the 4-5 hours I spent studying every day for a month, I thought. Anyway, I'm going in for one last ditch effort at the marketing PhD program of my dreams. Here's hoping the last exam was a fluke and some extra months studying will give me scores closer to what I got in practice.

Hi gevault,

Test Day involves a specific set of 'variables' that can impact your performance, so you have to do your best to take your practice tests in a manner that matches the variables that you'll face on Test Day. The more your practice tests vary from what you'll face on the Official GRE, the more your scores can be 'off.' For example, did you take the FULL practice test each time (with both essays)? Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GRE?

Beyond those details, it's important to remember that the GRE is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You have to train to take advantage of the built-in patterns of the Test though.

1) When are you planning to retake the GRE?

2) What application deadline(s) are you facing?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

On 9/8/2016 at 8:05 PM, gevault said:

I was even doing consistently well on practice tests. I scored a V: 164, Q: 163 on a Magoosh practice test and even managed a V: 170, Q: 166 on an ETS Powerprep test.

Dude! If that was the first time you took that Powerprep test, you can score similarly on the real test. Powerprep is as close to the real test as it gets, and I usually see students score within a couple of points of their last Powerprep score on the real thing. I would take the real GRE again soon. And I think this...

On 9/8/2016 at 10:53 PM, EMPOWERgreRichC said:

Test Day involves a specific set of 'variables' that can impact your performance, so you have to do your best to take your practice tests in a manner that matches the variables that you'll face on Test Day. The more your practice tests vary from what you'll face on the Official GRE, the more your scores can be 'off.' For example, did you take the FULL practice test each time (with both essays)? Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GRE?

... is good advice. Your main issue is getting used to taking the full test under realistic conditions, not learning about the test itself or studying concepts.