Leveling Question

Hi all,

So here's my story. I have a bachelors degree in fashion merchandising (random I know) with a cumulative gap of MAYBE 3.3 and a master's in teaching. I've been looking at options for post-bacc and it seems like all of the SLP programs I want to apply to require different courses. I was wanting some advice about what would be the best course of action. Would it be best to 1.) Do a post-bacc program and not apply to multiple schools, 2.) Get a second bachelors degree in COMD, or 3.) apply to 3-year grad programs? Thanks in advance!

Does the 3.3 GPA include your master's or just the bachelor's? If it includes the MAT, then I don't think you will be competitive for extended master's programs, sorry! Now if that's just the bachelor's and you have a higher GPA including your MAT, then you might have a shot depending on your GRE scores.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

Does the 3.3 GPA include your master's or just the bachelor's? If it includes the MAT, then I don't think you will be competitive for extended master's programs, sorry! Now if that's just the bachelor's and you have a higher GPA including your MAT, then you might have a shot depending on your GRE scores.

No it's not included, that being said my gpa for my master's only a 3.56 (I worked pretty much full time while in school for both degrees). I didn't think I'd be competitive but I wanted to get advice. So do you think a post-bacc or 2nd bachelors would be better in my situation?

I think you could apply to leveling programs, but there is not guarantee you will be admitted, of course. Use your POS to talk about why your cumulative GPA is mediocre (undergrad) and highlight the steps you've taken since then. A 3.56 is not stellar for SLP programs but you can see on these forums that people get into leveling programs with the same GPA. I can't imagine schools would care that much about an undergraduate GPA if you can show them you are able to perform academically in your Master's. Your experience becomes much more important as someone coming back to school as well.

However, as you can see in my signature, I also have a 3.3 GPA due to poor grades my first year of college - 8 years ago (*facepalm!*). I am also deciding if it is worth applying to leveling programs.

I cannot address whether a leveling program or second degree program is the better option, though!