Should I disclose to my Mentor and Letter writers

johnallen

Hello all,

I need advice, I am a McNair Scholar and University Honors student. I work with an amazing mentor for my thesis. I am torn in deciding whether or not to tell her I have a felony conviction from 10 years ago for ID Theft. I have a 3.94 GPA and have been on the Dean's List more than 5 times over the course of my academic career. Should I disclose to her that I have a felony? I ask because I will be applying to some grad schools that ask about criminal backgrounds. I am also in another bind, a Director of Graduate Studies from a top R1 school has agreed to write me a letter and talk me up to colleagues in the dept I will be applying to (same school that asks about criminal history), should I tell him that I have a felony? I don't want him to risk his reputation or be surprised if confronted about this from the Adcomm. I don't know what to do. I'm I deceiving by not telling? It was one infraction long ago, I may not even be admitted to this place.

I don't think you need to tell your recommenders. You'll already be telling the schools that ask on their applications and I think that's all you need to do. Schools are looking to recommenders to speak to your ability to do research/think creatively/etc., not to go into all the details of your application.

Edited by NoSleepTilBreuckelen

As long as you mentioned it when you applied to your current school and to future schools you apply to, I don't think anybody else really needs to know. On a side note, make sure you're also aware of positions you may and may not be eligible for.

If your offense was related to money, you can be barred from working in a bank or other financial institutions.

If your offense was related to alcohol, it is legal for an employer to stop you from working in a liquor store, or as a server in a restaurant that sells alcohol.