Stanford GSE

day_manderly

On 2/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, NAhmad said:

I just got waitlisted for RILE. Does anyone know how many people they admitted this year? And what the chances are of getting in after you've been waitlisted? I feel like waiting until April 15th to hear back is a bad idea since most other programs require an answer by then.

Hi there! I'm a waitlist admit from last year (Ed Policy, not RILE, but someone said above that a lot of people transfer around programs/aren't direct admits, which is completely true). I don't think it's a long waitlist, which should give you some hope! I also got off the waitlist on April 4 last year. It was after all of the admit days, but they still gave me the same offer (reimbursed my travel up to a certain amount and let me meet with professors, current students, etc) before the April 15 deadline. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! :)

13 hours ago, CGedu said:

I got in!!!! Very dramatic afternoon, I got rejected from Harvard but accepted from Stanford IEPA. Soooooooo happy right now!!!!

Congrats! I got into Stanford ICE. Are you going to the admitted day?

19 hours ago, Juicebox7 said:

Yay POLS Friends! I got my acceptance too! This has been a crazy Friday!

Yeah, it was definitely a crazy, nerve-wracking day of waiting, but it was worth the wait!

@Juicebox7 I see you've been accepted to both POLS and EPM. Same here! What do you plan to do? I think several of us are choosing between HGSE and Stanford GSE. I'm definitely leaning toward HGSE right now, but so excited about both opportunities. 

Congratulations everyone! :)

Edited by sheriberi

1 hour ago, sheriberi said:

Yeah, it was definitely a crazy, nerve-wracking day of waiting, but it was worth the wait!

@Juicebox7 I see you've been accepted to both POLS and EPM. Same here! What do you plan to do? I think several of us are choosing between HGSE and Stanford GSE. I'm definitely leaning toward HGSE right now, but so excited about both opportunities. 

Congratulations everyone! :)

oh! I'm in the same boat too POLS or HGSE EPM! 

@sheriberi why are you leaning toward HGSE? EPM cohort is the largest at HGSE. Around 80+. Where POLS is around 30-35. Which I suppose can be both a good or bad. 

@sheriberi It’s hard to speak about the “difficult decision” when I realize it’s such a privileged position. I’m still trying to soak it all in. Yesterday feels unreal.

I think fit is key. I want to visit both schools for admit days/open houses. With that said, I can’t imagine not just loving both after visiting because these schools are incredible!

Stanford included a fellowship in my admit letter—I cried like a baby. Financial aid can prove very persuasive. And at this point, I’m really drawn to the small cohort size that @greenteagrad mentioned.

These are exciting times! I’ll PM you guys deciding between the two and hopefully we can share insight and experiences.

Edited by Juicebox7

@Juicebox7 You're completely right about it being a luxury to have such a decision to make. I feel so fortunate and so excited (also very nervous, in a good way!). 

Since I'm living in Cairo right now, I won't be able to attend admit day at Stanford. Luckily, HGSE has several virtual events, so that'll be better than not attending at all. I agree that I'd probably fall in love with both anyway.

@greenteagrad It's a great "boat" to be in!

While it's difficult to really say without having actually experienced either program, I get the feeling that HGSE has incredibly rich opportunities that go beyond your class schedule. I feel like I'd be able to do/learn/explore pretty much anything that interests me and will help me grow. That is likely also true of Stanford, though I haven't seen that point highlighted as much.

There's actually an old thread discussing EPM and POLS specifically that perhaps we can revive to find our best fit. It may also help future prospective students.

To be clear, I'd be thrilled to join either program! :)  

16 hours ago, sheriberi said:

@Juicebox7 You're completely right about it being a luxury to have such a decision to make. I feel so fortunate and so excited (also very nervous, in a good way!). 

Since I'm living in Cairo right now, I won't be able to attend admit day at Stanford. Luckily, HGSE has several virtual events, so that'll be better than not attending at all. I agree that I'd probably fall in love with both anyway.

@greenteagrad It's a great "boat" to be in!

While it's difficult to really say without having actually experienced either program, I get the feeling that HGSE has incredibly rich opportunities that go beyond your class schedule. I feel like I'd be able to do/learn/explore pretty much anything that interests me and will help me grow. That is likely also true of Stanford, though I haven't seen that point highlighted as much.

There's actually an old thread discussing EPM and POLS specifically that perhaps we can revive to find our best fit. It may also help future prospective students.

To be clear, I'd be thrilled to join either program! :)  

To be fair, one of the reasons why I think that Stanford doesn't highlight the "can do/learn/explore anything" is because that's the vibe of Stanford grad life in general. Obviously, I'm drawing my evidence from the POLS info session I attended and having spoke to Stanford grad students but there are so many opportunities to take classes in other departments and many POLS classes are cross listed with GSB, law, policy, CS, sociology, etc. Just something to keep in mind :)

I understand the dilemma because I too, like others here, am debating between Stanford and Harvard. 

Anyone attending both the Stanford and HGSE admit days (especially for POLS and EPM programs respectively), I'd be very grateful for any insight you have to share. I won't be able to attend either event, as I'm overseas now. I will, however, attend one of HGSE's virtual welcome events.

There are so many assumptions/impressions we have about schools based on our reading and tiny snapshots of each program. It helps so much to have first-hand information as to what the day-to-day experience is like and what students feel is a unique strength of the program.

Feeling very fortunate, but also very indecisive at the moment! 

• 4 weeks later...