Resumes

Hamz

I am starting to work on my resume, which hasn't really been updated since I was job-searching almost four years ago. I do have one that I use internally at work, and we use them for proposals but it's pretty specific and I don't think it'll work universally. I have a good grasp of what a resume should look like for job searching, but anything I should include/avoid for writing this specific to grad programs?

I am starting to work on my resume, which hasn't really been updated since I was job-searching almost four years ago. I do have one that I use internally at work, and we use them for proposals but it's pretty specific and I don't think it'll work universally. I have a good grasp of what a resume should look like for job searching, but anything I should include/avoid for writing this specific to grad programs?

Resumes in general should be targeted to whatever you are applying for. I would consider grad school, as if you are applying for a job. Hence, you should discuss specific positions, roles etc. that a committee would find positive. Also they should see increasing responsibility or accomplishments. Keep it short and very focused, and do not turn it into an unending CV. I would guess max 2-3 pages double spaced. hope that helps.

A resume for a job is different than a resume for grad school. What you probably really need is a CV (similar to a resume). This is more academic in that while you should list employment related to your proposed degree program, it's also good to list papers you've published or have in progress, conferences you've presented, TA stuff, you might even want to highlight certain courses you've taken, labs you've worked in or professors you've maybe helped with their research--in otherwords, more academic related stuff. Check sample CVs from the bios of potential advisors on your top choice schools' website for an idea. Also, while resumes are encouraged to be 1 page, CVs are usually longer. If a school says to send a "resume" (instead of using the word "CV") I'd still send the CV because I think that's what they really mean.

Agree with others to target it towards grad school. Whether you use a resume or CV depends on a few factors; for example, in business disciplines, a resume may be more appropriate, but in the humanities, a CV may be more appropriate.

I used a resume, and kept it pretty similar to the job version I have. However, I made the following changes:

- Moved education info up to the top, highlighted research/academic achievements, took out student activities that weren't really relevant

- Made sure my job history area was concise & included the most relevant aspects that would relate to my research/field of study

I have a unique part of my resume too where I actually put quotes that have been in previous performance reviews. It's a small part of my resume but is nice because it says things about me that supervisors said. For example, "Exceptional leader" "Displayed meticulous attention to detail..." etc. Anyway, just a random tidbit! I kept it because in my programs, they are looking for those types of skills (e.g. leadership), so I thought it couldn't hurt to keep these boxes.

You generally don't double space a resume though, so I'd say keep it the standard 1-2 pages, unless you use a CV, which I know is different.

Edited by alexis

Agree with others to target it towards grad school. Whether you use a resume or CV depends on a few factors; for example, in business disciplines, a resume may be more appropriate, but in the humanities, a CV may be more appropriate.

I used a resume, and kept it pretty similar to the job version I have. However, I made the following changes:

- Moved education info up to the top, highlighted research/academic achievements, took out student activities that weren't really relevant

- Made sure my job history area was concise & included the most relevant aspects that would relate to my research/field of study

I have a unique part of my resume too where I actually put quotes that have been in previous performance reviews. It's a small part of my resume but is nice because it says things about me that supervisors said. For example, "Exceptional leader" "Displayed meticulous attention to detail..." etc. Anyway, just a random tidbit! I kept it because in my programs, they are looking for those types of skills (e.g. leadership), so I thought it couldn't hurt to keep these boxes.

You generally don't double space a resume though, so I'd say keep it the standard 1-2 pages, unless you use a CV, which I know is different.

Intersting... how do you incorporate the notes from your performance reviews? We have a pretty extensive review system where I work now, and I could see using some of those quotes.

Intersting... how do you incorporate the notes from your performance reviews? We have a pretty extensive review system where I work now, and I could see using some of those quotes.

I have a portion below my work history, which says 'NARRATIVES FROM PERFORMANCE REVIEWS', then 4 blocks positioned horizontally, each containing a quoted sentence, then giving the position of the person who said it. (If an employer/school needed the original performance review showing that it was said, I could provide a copy of it.) I had a friend who had this in her resume, I thought it was a good idea, and ever since I added it, people who I've shown (both in work & academic settings) have been impressed with it. Kind of makes your resume stand out as something a little bit different and shows what previous supervisors have thought about you.