Picking a date to stop looking at Grad Cafe?

JennyFieldsOriginal

Anyone else considering doing this?

At least till I get one acceptance, I think I'm going to quit looking at these things after February 10th.

I fear I'm going to fall to pieces if I have to hear about other people's acceptances in my field and program before I hear anything myself.

I don't want to be sending sour grapes out into the universe, so I figured I'd wait until I can be genuinely happy for people to return :)

Funny enough, I've been trying to get myself to do just the opposite: to pick a date when i can resume looking at Grad Cafe. From looking at all the Grad Cafe survey results in past years, there is no way that I will hear from any of my schools until late January. In the interest of my sanity, I've tried to ban myself from looking at Grad Cafe until some reasonable date like Jan 20th. Yet, here I am...there's no escaping this forum really.

Edited by dissatisfiedsocrates

Funny enough, I've been trying to get myself to do just the opposite: to pick a date when i can resume looking at Grad Cafe. From looking at all the Grad Cafe survey results in past years, there is no way that I will hear from any of my schools until late January. In the interest of my sanity, I've tried to ban myself from looking at Grad Cafe until some reasonable date like Jan 20th. Yet, here I am...there's no escaping this forum really.

Yes, exactly! I asked my husband to block GradCafe on my laptop and our desktop so I would stop obsessing. He has the password to unlock the site and will let me look once a week...or so he thinks. (Right now I'm on my brother's computer while he watches a baketball game...)

It's so typical that I would break the rules I've created or myself. Damn you GradCafe!

I definitely feel the need to stop looking here. Last night I was snuggled in bed, secure in the knowledge that 3 out of 4 of my applications are safely submitted. I had safely put them completely out of mind, ready to forget them all about them. (In fact, the very idea that adcoms could be calling in a few months is strange and surreal. The application process was so drawn-out, multi-faceted, and frustrating, that the very act of just turning them IN felt like the end result. The knowledge that committees are going to be looking at them strikes me as odd, somehow.)

Anyway, I was all snug in bed watching a DVD, happy to be done with the damn things. Then I remembered a post I'd read here, how someone obsessed over "who was looking at [their] application RIGHT NOW!" I started thinking, "Gee, someone could be looking at my portfolio ... at this very moment ... they could be (gulp) throwing them in the trash right now ... "

My hands started to quiver, my heartrate jumped a few notches and I broke out in a cold sweat all over. Not nice.

Anyone else considering doing this?

At least till I get one acceptance, I think I'm going to quit looking at these things after February 10th.

I fear I'm going to fall to pieces if I have to hear about other people's acceptances in my field and program before I hear anything myself.

I don't want to be sending sour grapes out into the universe, so I figured I'd wait until I can be genuinely happy for people to return :)

That sounds like a great (and I mean GREAT) decision. I lurked here during my application year, and pretty near drove myself crazy. Regular breaks are very good for your sanity.

Yes, exactly! I asked my husband to block GradCafe on my laptop and our desktop so I would stop obsessing. He has the password to unlock the site and will let me look once a week...or so he thinks. (Right now I'm on my brother's computer while he watches a baketball game...)

It's so typical that I would break the rules I've created or myself. Damn you GradCafe!

Hahaha, this is the cutest thing I've ever heard of!

Yay! I'm not the only one! I actually didn't discover this site until after I'd asked my husband to block me from my favorite time-wasters: The Chronicle, RunnersWorld.com, and Facebook. I told him about this one and asked him to shut it down, but he hasn't gotten to it yet. Darn. :)

I'm considering disabling the F5 button on my keyboard as well as getting rid of any refresh abilities on my webbrowser. I have a habit of constantly pressing it until something new pops up....reminds me of getting into undergrad when I was waiting to get my results.

I am not alone! I just disabled my RSS feed of the reults page (small steps) but I think I need to ban gradcafe on my work comp. Once I'm not at work I have no problem staying away since I do regular things in life like eat, spend time with my SO, workout, and I don't have internet *freely* in my apartment. Outside of working hours life is grand! Now, time to figure out how to block the site. After a few more minutes of browsing of course.

(In fact, the very idea that adcoms could be calling in a few months is strange and surreal. The application process was so drawn-out, multi-faceted, and frustrating, that the very act of just turning them IN felt like the end result. The knowledge that committees are going to be looking at them strikes me as odd, somehow.)

I just mailed off my last application today and had the exact same feeling for a moment -- as though the whole process was all over. Then I remembered that I had merely progressed to one of the most painful phases.

Today, I broke a 10 day GradCafe "fast." I hear you, missesENG - work is the most tempting time! I'll probably give myself one day per week to check in, for a little levity. At least until those results start popping up!

The reason I need to stop looking on here because seeing people at some of my programs get interviews is seriously depressing--so thinking about applications is just getting me down these days, since I'm starting to worry about across-the-board rejections.

• 3 weeks later...