Should I retake GRE?

ccoleman

I recently retook the GRE and ended up scoring lower than my initial scores. I wanted to hear some opinions about whether or not I should try to re-take again. I was wanting to raise my writing score and my practice verbal scores were in the range of what I got the first time (164). Is there enough time to retake and would it be a good investment of time?

Applying for PhD programs for Fall 17. Looking at UVA, Duke, BU, and PTS. 

Initial scores

V: 164

Q: 158

W: 4.5

Retake scores

V: 160

Q: 159

W: Not available yet

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Café com Leite said:

I agree, V/Q are fine, but writing needs to be at least 5.0, but the higher the better. But don't sweat it, the GRE gets you through the door and that's it.

I disagree. I know a number of people in top 10 programs who scored a 4.5. I wouldn't retake it. I would only send them your first score set (assuming you don't get a perfect on the writing in the second). While it is true that some programs might take your highest scores, I have heard from professors that the fewer sets the better. The more sets you send, the more meaningless high scores become. The verbal is the real gate keeper. It is what professors from across disciplines in the humanities seem to emphasize most. They know that the writing section is somewhat arbitrary; the math, some say, correlates to one's ability in foreign language proficiency. /.02

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me last year. I started out with 163 V, 158Q, 4.5AW. I retook and scored a 162V, 157Q, 6.0AW. I was able to submit my highest scores to each of the schools to which I applied (BU, Duke, ND, Emory, PTS). If you get higher than a 4.5 on the writing, I would stay put. Your scores are just fine. 

This thread is so helpful. Thank you all! I took it once and got:

169 V
163 Q
4.5 AW

I was really disappointed by the writing score, since I thought I'd get at least a 5 based on the prep work I did. Instead of spending $200 and a lot of time to study and re-take, I will focus on honing my Statements of Purpose and writing samples.