MTS- Biblical Studies: who gives out the most money?

jenninsb

Hi all, 

I will be applying to a number of MTS programs in biblical studies in January. I have a good idea of the "best schools", but I am trying to round out my list with schools that are less prestigious and more likely to be generous with grants and aid. Does anyone with any experience have suggestions? 

Generally speaking, larger the school = larger financial resources. That said, academic scholarships for MTS degrees pale in comparison to MDiv and generally speaking, few 100% awards are given. Most of the students I knew at VDS were on a 50% or better scholarship but that's normal across schools: Say that tuition is 20k but then give everyone a 50% scholarship as an enticement, when in reality tuition is 10k.

Apply to the large schools: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, and Chicago. If you're wanting to stay around Boston, also look at BU and BC, maybe GC as well. There's of course VDS as well.

Could you provide more information on your situation or what you're looking to study in regards to Biblical Studies?

• 2 weeks later...

I did an MTS and it is true that most schools do not offer near the funding of MDiv programs. Duke offers (I believe) only one (or two) full tuition scholarships, the rest are a set low "scholarship" of a couple thousand (others, feel free to correct me). Vandy offers descent funding, though I don't know about full tuition. Emory has recently opened up their competitive full tuition scholarships (+ stipend?) to MTS students along side MDiv's, so it might be worth investigating.

PTS and HDS seem to have offered the most money over the last ten years (I heard a couple years ago that PTS was starting an MTS/MAR--did that ever happen?). I would put YDS next. Lastly, most place Duke and Chicago. 

22 minutes ago, sacklunch said:

I heard a couple years ago that PTS was starting an MTS/MAR--did that ever happen?).

Yeah this did happen, its called an "MA(TS)" (Master of Arts in Theological Studies). Its in its second year and funding is comparable to the M.Div (generally 80% need based for non-PCUSA and 100% for PCUSA, with some merit based 100% for non-PCUSA students).

• 3 weeks later...