Advisor Troubles....

Hi All,

I am currently a second year doctoral candidate at a highly ranked history program (this is relevant, I promise). I recently changed advisors. So far as my work goes it was the best decision I could have possibly made. I love the work I am doing now, it has all clicked in to place. I recently, however, had an odd conversation with my new advisor. This advisor was really excited to work with me on the basis of a research project that I did with her after I had already been here for two semesters. She did not participate in vetting my original application to the dept, etc. She was likely aware to some degree that I am what the university calls a "traditionally underrepresented student," but I do not think she was aware of my specific socio-economic and educational background (basically dirt poor and struggled working full-time to get through undergrad at a non-ranked, satellite state school). So, that awkward conversation...involved this new advisor saying some very classist/disparaging things about students from my particular background. It was not done in a particularly vicious manner, it was just off-hand remarks, commonsense that students from particular backgrounds and/or at certain institutions are just not as promising. I was so taken aback that I basically got out of the conversation ASAP. 

I am unsure how to move forward. On the one hand, I genuinely like my advisor. We work well together, and she will be an asset moving toward the job market. She is very involved, dedicated, and proactive about my research and professionalization. On the other hand, I am not keen about working with someone who is completely unaware of where I am coming from, or that thinks students who lack opportunity are "not as promising." I have never had an advisor who is not also an underrepresented person, so I am just at a loss. Would it be ok to talk about this with my advisor? I do not want to come off like I am accusing her of anything, because I am not, but I do want to stand up for myself, and where I come from. I know she was not speaking about me personally, but those stereotypes are damaging. I struggle everyday to quiet that nagging voice that says I am just "not as promising" as my peers. Even after getting into a highly ranked, Ivy League program, I still struggle to believe that someone like me really belongs here. Also, at times, I need slightly different mentoring that students who come from more traditional backgrounds, and I want her to understand that. 

Any thoughts/sharing of similar situations/etc are much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Edited by jdt33425
grammar

Wow.

1) You do belong. I study belonging and the construction of inclusion and exclusion. You applied there, you got in. Make it home. If you feel you don't belong because of your background, then communicate your background to peers so that they know. If you feel you don't belong because you still struggle economically, well, I think you represent most grad students ;) PM if you want to talk further.

2) I think you should talk. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your advisor, talk to the old one or the DGS. The DGS is here for this type of things. He/She should meet with you and talk to the professor safeguarding your privacy. Maybe they drop the subject in a meeting. But it is clear that professors in your department should be more sensitive, especially since clearly they are open to "traditionally underrepresented students" since they admitted you. You displayed a calm attitude and you differentiate the different sides of this story ("she was not in the admission process" etc). So I think you could have a professional conversation about this.

3) Look for a mentor. Clearly, this advisor will not work as your mentor because you need someone who understands your background and helps you build from it, not in spite of it.

All the best!

I second what AP has said, but I would strongly recommend approaching your adviser directly rather than going to the DGS. This is based off your comment that you don't think she was being malicious, just insensitive/unaware. I think it would probably be better for your working relationship to talk to her directly (if you feel you can). 

Also, of course you belong. You're not alone in being from a low-income background. I started a thread about this very topic here. Feel free to PM me. 

UGH! I wish I had useful advice for you but I honestly don't in this situation. I had a similar thing happen when I was in undergrad and it was maddening to think that the professor automatically thought less of me academically based on my background. I'm not sure that I would confront your advisor about this or deliberately bring it up again. But, at the same time, I also wouldn't ignore it if it came up again. Instead, I'd probably ask lots of questions to try to figure out the basis of those views and perhaps present evidence from the scientific literature which contradicts those views.