Is the GRE even worth it?

LanguageEnthusiast

Question

Is taking the GRE even worth the extra stress? It actually frustrates me that some schools still require it. Most don't even care about the score and it doesn't actually provide valuable information. *Sorry for the small rant!

I'm applying for the Sept 2017 start in several Speech and Language Pathology programs. I would love to go to Dalhousie, but they require the GRE. It's the only school I'm applying to that requires it (I'm also applying to UBC, Western, and potentially McMaster). I haven't studied for it since I wasn't planning on taking it. Most of my deadlines are January or February. I guess I could crash course studying for it, but I'm not sure it's worth it. 

Thoughts?

Edited by LanguageEnthusiast

5 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, LanguageEnthusiast said:

Is taking the GRE even worth the extra stress? It actually frustrates me that some schools still require it. Most don't even care about the score and it doesn't actually provide valuable information. *Sorry for the small rant!

I'm applying for the Sept 2017 start in several Speech and Language Pathology programs. I would love to go to Dalhousie, but they require the GRE. It's the only school I'm applying to that requires it (I'm also applying to UBC, Western, and potentially McMaster). I haven't studied for it since I wasn't planning on taking it. Most of my deadlines are January or February. I guess I could crash course studying for it, but I'm not sure it's worth it. 

Thoughts?

Well, I didn't really stress in preparation for my GRE, but I didn't score amazingly well, either. Then again, I had a friend who took it and scored 164 verbal without studying at all.

Assuming you can afford the GRE, I say it's worth taking. If you score badly, you could simply not use the score when applying to programs. Schools don't know what your scores are unless you offer said scores.

I know a lot of universities require GRE scores as a way to lower the amount of students accepted into programs. They don't accept students with lower scores just because they have a limited number of seats and can't accept everyone. I think it's very unfair for that reason. Of course, I'm sure other schools want to see the scores for performance and ability to do well within their graduate program. I've heard the writing portion of the GRE is the most important since most programs, especially with research, are writing intensive. I suppose the verbal section would be important too when writing, but I think the writing section is most important. And, I think most schools don't even care about your math score - unless you're applying to mathematics or engineering programs or something.

If there are other schools you're interested in that don't require the GRE, I would apply to those and kind of forget about the one program that does require it. If you really want to apply to Dalhousie, you could study for the GRE, take the exam and see how you do, and then apply. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. It's very expensive and requires a lot of study time. Seems like quite a bit just for one school. If you decide to take it, you could always research other schools and apply to more of them. That way you can send your scores to several universities instead of just one.

I think the GRE is ridiculous. It didn't used to be required, why is it now?  We all received a Bachelors degree. We can do math, we know our vocab, and we're capable of writing. I think it's crazy. But, I do have to admit - some of the questions were tough.

By the way, I applied to several online SLP programs too. I haven't heard of any of the schools you're applying to.

Keep in touch and good luck! :o)

Edited by speechfan222

Cool, now a days many universities are looking for GRE, Ain't I right? I am planning to take GRE for Fall 2018. Now am in the final sem of my Graduation. Which is the right time to start my GRE Prep?

There are a lot of programs that do not require the GRE, and if the majority of the programs you are interested in applying to don't, I wouldn't.

The GRE is expensive, and on top of all of the other obligations of life, it can cause far more stress than what the arbitrary number means at the end of test day. 

I am curious what you decided to do?