Which one is better? In case of GRE

dododo

Hi,

I have two scores and I am an international student in a non-English speaking country.

Which one is better? 

1) 157(75%)/ 166(91%)/ 4.0(59%) 
2) 155(68%)/ 170(97%)/ 4.0(59%)

I cannot decide between two mediocre scores.....

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, makingtheleap.back said:

Assuming your 170 is Quant, I'd go with that one. You'll get a bit of a pass on the verbal because you're an international student...and those are not mediocre scores. 

I don't think it is. I got a 161Q/79%, a 162V/90%. I'd say go for whichever has a higher Q score. 

Oh, yes. 166 and 170 are my Quant scores.

Thanks for the replies. Though don't you guys think my verbal 155 is too low?

It is below 70 percentile. Unfortunately because the score percentile graph is a bell curve, although there is only 2 points difference between 157 and 155, percentile drops quite dramatically from 75% to 68%.

What I heard is Adcom doesn't care a score if a score is higher than 90 percentile. 

And I think my GRE is a bit mediocre because I have good Quant score, but verbal and writing scores are below than most schools' average scores.

Indeed, I am not from an English speaking country, but my got my BA from US, so it is hard to decide which one is better.

Thank you guys. Hope there will be more replies and opinions. Thanks.

Edited by dododo

30 minutes ago, dododo said:

Oh, yes. 166 and 170 are my Quant scores.

Thanks for the replies. Though don't you guys think my verbal 155 is too low?

It is below 70 percentile. Unfortunately because the score percentile graph is a bell curve, although there is only 2 points difference between 157 and 155, percentile drops quite dramatically from 75% to 68%.

What I heard is Adcom doesn't care a score if a score is higher than 90 percentile. 

And I think my GRE is a bit mediocre because I have good Quant score, but verbal and writing scores are below than most schools' average scores.

Indeed, I am not from an English speaking country, but my got my BA from US, so it is hard to decide which one is better.

Thank you guys. Hope there will be more replies and opinions. Thanks.

Definitely go with the perfect Quant score. Just be sure to get good TOEFL scores. 

Super high GRE scores do not make an admission. However, low scores will definitely hurt you. Search out the school that you want to attend in the result page. You will barely find the admits who have 155 in verbal reasoning section. 

1 minute ago, meteora said:

Super high GRE scores do not make an admission. However, low scores will definitely hurt you. Search out the school that you want to attend in the result page. You will barely find the admits who have 155 in verbal reasoning section. 

To be fair @dododo is an international student. You're correct in pointing out that 155 is low in the verbal section, but I think this can be overlooked due to ESL and if @dododo gets a solid TOEFL score. 

Thanks for replies.

I don't need TOEFL and didn't take TOEFL because I hold my BA from US university.

My English is not bad, but GRE was more difficult than I thought. My ugpa is 3.91, so I am good in my college performance.

16 minutes ago, meteora said:

I agree with meteora's point as well. So, meteora, do you think which one is better #1 (Q166) or #2 (Q170)?

It is a tough choice.

Thanks!

Correlatesoftheory might be right. But we cannot know how adcoms will deal with the GRE scores. If there are cutoff scores, regardless of TOEFL score or ESL training, his file would not be read. 

dododo, You do not have to worry that your perfect GRE score will be wasted. Your first quant score is already good enough and makes you get into every school. 

If I were you, I would take and report the TOEFL even if you are exempted from that requirement. It is an opportunity to signal that your language abilities are higher than your GRE verbal indicates. That being said, I am quite jealous of your quant score and I am sure that you will be fine whichever path you will be taking.

Many universities allow TOEFL scores to be sent even after the December 15 deadline, so its not too late to consider taking it. GRE scores = cut-off criterion -> 155 or 157 might be too low to pass the first round of superficial examination at top institutions (i am speculating here). My prof at a CHYPS university told me that GRE verbal scores don't matter that much for internationals as they also report TOEFL scores. Get a 115 on the TOEFL and your GRE verbal will be perceived quite differently.

I would go with the second one. Or if you can afford it, send both. People think it is bad when you report more than one score, but it is not. At least in your case, it is not. They will see the improvement in the quant section. But, if you only want to send one, go with the second one. Peace!!

Thanks for replies.

12 hours ago, BillyJoel182 said:

If I were you, I would take and report the TOEFL even if you are exempted from that requirement. It is an opportunity to signal that your language abilities are higher than your GRE verbal indicates. That being said, I am quite jealous of your quant score and I am sure that you will be fine whichever path you will be taking.

Many universities allow TOEFL scores to be sent even after the December 15 deadline, so its not too late to consider taking it. GRE scores = cut-off criterion -> 155 or 157 might be too low to pass the first round of superficial examination at top institutions (i am speculating here). My prof at a CHYPS university told me that GRE verbal scores don't matter that much for internationals as they also report TOEFL scores. Get a 115 on the TOEFL and your GRE verbal will be perceived quite differently.

Ha... I haven't thought about taking TOEFL as well. I checked the test schedules, but there is not seat available for now in my country. I came back to my country recently and the test center and schedules are not many in here. It is unfortunate but it seems I cannot take TOEFL anymore.

Thanks !

2 hours ago, The Dark knight said:

I would go with the second one. Or if you can afford it, send both. People think it is bad when you report more than one score, but it is not. At least in your case, it is not. They will see the improvement in the quant section. But, if you only want to send one, go with the second one. Peace!!

I think I will try this instead then. Thanks!