2017 Results Thread

ironheart

I was an (apparently rare) spring semester applicant.  Applied to Seton Hall, Pitt, American SIS, Boston Pardee.  Got in to all.  Got a fairly substantial amount of merit aid from Boston, but not enough to make up for their higher costs (American is still substantially cheaper at the near-sticker price I'm paying) and lower stature as an international affairs program.  Attending American SIS.

Congrats Ironheart!

That's great news -- I'm hoping to hear back from them soon myself! I just had my final recommender submit her letter today, so much like Sleeplesswithcoffee, I'm playing the waiting game. I know MPA-ESP is rolling decision, so how long did it take you to hear back from them? Trying to weigh this against the program at UPenn to which I've already been accepted!

Also, any idea as to whether or not the fact that I submitted my application a while ago, but was waiting on one letter of recommendation, will speed up their review process? Asking for a friend. Haha

Good luck to all!

On 29/11/2016 at 9:25 PM, sleeplesswithcoffee said:

Congrats ironheart! Must be great to know you're in so early. I submitted the rest of my applications today so now the long wait begins!

Thank you! It's a huge relief for me, especially since Columbia is my first choice. I won't be continuing the other applications I have open for other schools (which my recommenders are grateful for, haha).

On 30/11/2016 at 1:24 PM, Kartopery said:

Congrats Ironheart!

That's great news -- I'm hoping to hear back from them soon myself! I just had my final recommender submit her letter today, so much like Sleeplesswithcoffee, I'm playing the waiting game. I know MPA-ESP is rolling decision, so how long did it take you to hear back from them? Trying to weigh this against the program at UPenn to which I've already been accepted!

Also, any idea as to whether or not the fact that I submitted my application a while ago, but was waiting on one letter of recommendation, will speed up their review process? Asking for a friend. Haha

Good luck to all!

Thank you so much!

I submitted my application with all requirements and test scores around October 26, and received the decision November 24. MPA-ESP applicants who submit on or before the early action deadline are guaranteed a decision by December 1 so that week of November 24 was really the week I was expecting the decision.

Regarding your second question, I was almost in a similar position for you because I wasn't sure my unofficial GRE scores would arrive on time, so I e-mailed the program and they were very happy to inform the admissions committee that I was still waiting on my scores. Then again, the GRE can be waived for my program, which is why I think it wasn't such a big deal. I wouldn't know if this is the case for the other SIPA programs, though.

On 29/11/2016 at 11:21 PM, tairos said:

I was an (apparently rare) spring semester applicant.  Applied to Seton Hall, Pitt, American SIS, Boston Pardee.  Got in to all.  Got a fairly substantial amount of merit aid from Boston, but not enough to make up for their higher costs (American is still substantially cheaper at the near-sticker price I'm paying) and lower stature as an international affairs program.  Attending American SIS.

I visited Pardee last July and loved it, but it was Columbia that won my heart in the end. Won't be applying to anymore schools as Columbia is my top choice.

Congratulations on getting accepted to all your programs!

15 hours ago, sleeplesswithcoffee said:

Columbia's one of my top schools @ironheart so I would strongly consider going if I'm accepted. Who knows, we might see each other in a class! I'm also international from Asia :)

I visited last July and absolutely fell in love with it. 

Good luck on your application! Yes, let's hit each other up if ever we end up in the same school :)

Update:

Very excited to let you guys know that I just heard from the assistant director today that I was also accepted to the MPA ESP program! 

Waiting to hear back regarding fellowships, but I'm definitely leaning Columbia over UPenn. 

Glad to join you happy people! :)

2 hours ago, Kartopery said:

Update:

Very excited to let you guys know that I just heard from the assistant director today that I was also accepted to the MPA ESP program! 

Waiting to hear back regarding fellowships, but I'm definitely leaning Columbia over UPenn. 

Glad to join you happy people! :)

Congratulations! Guess we'll be seeing each other at orientation? :)

What program did you apply to in UPenn?

Edited by ironheart

10 hours ago, ironheart said:

Congratulations! Guess we'll be seeing each other at orientation? :)

What program did you apply to in UPenn?

Thank you!

I would say so! :)

And it's actually an MS in Applied geosciences, Hydrogeology program! So a little more science rather than policy based, but I always saw myself going into government and policy in regards to water resource management, so I think Columbia is right for me!

Plus, the year long program, and the near guarantee of it being significantly (at leas one semester's worth) cheaper than the Penn program don't hurt either. 

Also, who doesn't love NYC?

On 12/7/2016 at 3:52 AM, Kartopery said:

Thank you!

I would say so! :)

And it's actually an MS in Applied geosciences, Hydrogeology program! So a little more science rather than policy based, but I always saw myself going into government and policy in regards to water resource management, so I think Columbia is right for me!

Plus, the year long program, and the near guarantee of it being significantly (at leas one semester's worth) cheaper than the Penn program don't hurt either. 

Also, who doesn't love NYC?

Completely fell in love with the school, the program, and the city when I visited last July, so I completely agree with you on that :)

Interesting to see the results page up earlier than usual! For people who have happily received results already, this profile makes it convenient for everyone else to understand your candidacy. You can also refer to threads from previous years if you have questions (2016, 2015, 2014). 

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.)  
Schools Applied To:  
Schools Admitted To:  
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  
Undergraduate institution:  
Undergraduate GPA:  
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):  
Undergraduate Major:  
GRE Quantitative Score:  
GRE Verbal Score:  
GRE AW Score:  
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  
Years of Work Experience:  
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  
Other:

Program Applied To: MPA Environmental Science and Policy 
Schools Applied To: 
Columbia SIPA
Schools Admitted To: Columbia SIPA
Schools Rejected From: (abandoned the applications for other universities as Columbia is my first choice, but originally planned to also apply to Yale FES, Duke NSE and BU Pardee)
Still Waiting: N/A
Undergraduate institution: Ateneo de Manila University (Philippines)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.49
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.65
Undergraduate Major: BA in European Studies; Minor in Hispanic Studies, Minor in History, Minor in Philosophy
GRE Quantitative Score: 150
GRE Verbal Score: 156
GRE AW Score: 4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 2.5 years
Years of Work Experience: 2.5 years
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked in the academe for 1.5 years, handling forestry, energy, and sustainability projects. Was part of the Philippine delegation to the UN climate change negotiations (UNFCCC) for 5 years (beginning undergrad) as research support for 3 years, adviser for 2 years, with 1 year of that as a negotiator for clauses in the Paris Agreement that dealt with human rights. Transferred to government for 6 months to help new climate officials acclimate to the new job. Now working as part of the programme team for the regional office of an international non-profit. Also working pro-bono as a climate change and environmental policy consultant for a member of the House of Representatives from a district whose constituents are mostly indigenous peoples.
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): My SOP took about a month to write and was proofread by 2 out of 3 of my recommenders as well as four friends who I trusted would give me an honest opinion on it. Since I visited the school and sat in two classes last July, I had a good idea of how the professors interacted with the students and I used that experience to put a spotlight on the collaborative atmosphere. I also wrote about my experience negotiating the Paris Agreement and the challenges that lie ahead in operationalizing it. Lastly, I wrote about how the MPA-ESP program fits my goals and objectives as a climate advocate from a particularly climate vulnerable country. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc): My letters of recommendation were written by people who I consider mentors and they had given me copies of the letters after they had submitted. One from the executive director of my current organization and was the former vice minister of the government agency that handled the UN climate change negotations. He mostly wrote about my character and passion for the advocacy, as well as my participation and growth as a member of the Philippine delegation to the UNFCCC. The second one was from the former dean of the university I worked for, as I reported directly to him. He wrote about his experience working with me on various projects, as well as my analytical and writing skills as I had co-authored a number of op-ed articles with him on climate change. The last was from my former professor who had been my history professor for two years who knew me very well and attested to my academic abilities. I had informed them 3 months in advance and they did not consult with me at all, and I only knew about the contents when they had sent me their letters after they had submitted. These three were all very accessible to me and I could easily ask for the current status of the letter and would give them monthly reminders.
Other:

Who else is waiting for the results of their Early Decision 2017 MIA/MPA application at SIPA? Does anyone know when decisions came out in previous years and if the "end of December" notification is a reliable benchmark?

I know I should just wait but the suspense is killing me...

Program Applied To: MPA Environmental Science/Policy, MS Applied Geosciences
Schools Applied To:  Columbia SIPA, UPenn
Schools Admitted To:  Columbia SIPA, UPenn
Schools Rejected From:  None
Still Waiting:  None

Undergraduate institution:  Unversity of Rochester
Undergraduate GPA:  3.31
Undergraduate Major:  BS Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Minor in History

GRE Quantitative Score:  164
GRE Verbal Score:  165
GRE AW Score:  4.5

Years of Work Experience:  ~1.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Worked as a Summer intern at a local organic farm, learning about organic food growing/watering techniques, and federal GAPS protocol. Also volunteered for a month in Rural Ghana with an NGO (GHEI) to aid in public health and clean water initiatives. And finally spent about a year as a member of the "water quality committee" for one of the finger lakes in Upstate New York.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  Felt pretty strong. Had it proofread by roughly 6 family members, and one professor. Talked about past experience shaping my decisions etc. And uniqueness of the program (for all schools).

Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  All three strong. (Weakest likely from my hydrology professor). One from aforementioned prof. One from manager at organic farm, one from Communications officer at NGO in Ghana.

Other: Awarded small fellowship at Columbia SIPA

Edited by Kartopery

My early decision result from SIPA got "deferred" - did this happen with everyone who applied early decision and didn't get accepted?

" We would like to further evaluate your application for the 2017 Fall term Master of International Affairs program. Therefore, your admission decision has been deferred; you will be considered with the full pool of candidates for the 2017 Fall entering class."

17 hours ago, nic2017 said:

My early decision result from SIPA got "deferred" - did this happen with everyone who applied early decision and didn't get accepted?

" We would like to further evaluate your application for the 2017 Fall term Master of International Affairs program. Therefore, your admission decision has been deferred; you will be considered with the full pool of candidates for the 2017 Fall entering class."

I received this "deferred decision" from Fletcher and SAIS, both of which I applied for early decision. 

• 3 weeks later...