2017 Results Thread

ironheart

17 hours ago, ironheart said:

Columbia also approved my request for an increase in my fellowship award—received that particular decision this morning. So if anyone needs more funding, doesn't hurt to ask SIPA for an increase, you'll never know.

How did you go about asking for the fellowship increase ironheart? 

Did you talk to Laura Piraino, or directly to financial aid?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 1:45 AM, ironheart said:

I e-mailed Laura, she was extremely helpful and facilitated the whole process.

Update:

After emailing Laura a few times, I got my fellowship award DOUBLED. Thank you so much for letting me know that was a possibility! Haha. My wallet owes you a lifedebt Ironheart.

57 minutes ago, Greene said:

Congratulations @ironheart and @Kartopery

I submitted January 5th for MDP. Haven't heard from SIPA. and its my first choice.

I am soooooo expectant. I pray to get accepted just like you 2

Good luck @Greene!

Keep us updated.

And I look forward to meeting potentially both of you in the coming months!

On 30/01/2017 at 4:28 AM, Greene said:

Congratulations @ironheart and @Kartopery

I submitted January 5th for MDP. Haven't heard from SIPA. and its my first choice.

I am soooooo expectant. I pray to get accepted just like you 2

Good luck @Greene! Just keep positive and hope for the best.

If all goes well with visa applications, will definitely be seeing you at orientation, @Kartopery!

6 hours ago, nic2017 said:

Any early applicants to UCSD GPS hear back yet?

I applied for the Jan 15th deadline and got a notification in my email this afternoon.

But oh my gosh. My heart is being played and toyed with by these grad schools ... :angry::( the email was just to notify me that my application has been forwarded to the admissions committee.  My heart was about to jump out because I thought the email was about their decision on my application. Ughhhhh

On 2/5/2017 at 7:15 PM, saranyc234 said:

For Chicago Harris - I believe the last deadline of Jan 20th has a notification of Feb 17th? But I have also seen the March date thrown around. Anyone know?

The notification is February 17th if you applied for the priority deadline on January 20th. There is a later application deadline that has a later notification date but was less competitive for financial aid. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the call from Harris about 20 minutes ago. Accepted with $15k per year in funding. Still waiting on UT LBJ, which apparently has started reaching out already and then from other schools, but they won't release their admissions info until mid March. 

6 hours ago, mpa/mpa2017 said:

I received a call yesterday around 5PM EST informing me that I was accepted.

Did you also get some funding? I'm assuming they only call if they're offering some funding. If they don't offer funding they probably only notify via email.

Program Applied To: (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.)  MPA
Schools Applied To:  UConn, Syracuse, Brandeis, Northeastern, Brown, Suffolk
Schools Admitted To:  Syracuse(waiting on funding), Brandeis(45% tuition funding), Northeastern(33% tuition funding), Brown($3000 scholarship)
Schools Rejected From:  
Still Waiting:  Suffolk, UConn
Undergraduate institution:  Local state college
Undergraduate GPA:  3.72, Community college 3.54 gpa
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):  3.72 (I transferred from a CC, all I have is 60 hours from my undergrad.)
Undergraduate Major: Dual Major: Public Administration, Political Science
GRE Quantitative Score:  150
GRE Verbal Score:  155
GRE AW Score:  4.0
Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable):  n/a
Years of Work Experience: Formerly worked in banking, left to pursue education. 
Describe Relevant Work Experience:  Internships in city planning, with a Congressman and with an unemployment insurance office. 
Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc):  I went through numerous edits with the help of many people including professors.  I took about 2 months of going back and forth editing it. 
Strength of LOR's (be honest, describe the process, etc):  3 professors, 1 is the chair of the department, the others are very well respected in their fields and are frequently published. 
Other:

Another Monday, another potential week of waiting... I'm dying to hear from Duke and Michigan. It doesn't help that people keep asking! I guess I should just feel blessed that others are invested. This week I'm going to try to drastically reduce the number of times I check my personal email and the official Results Forum in hopes of new decisions.