GEO123

Question

I am applying to some competitive PHD programs in my field and my GPA is less than desirable for a masters student (3.65). This is in part due to the fact that my adviser "doesn't believe in A's or grade inflation" and consistently gives me B+ grades in courses, but is also writing a letter of support for my PHD applications. Can I use this to frame my GPA as maybe no so bad? Most of my other classes I have at least gotten an A- in.. I also anticipate finishing up next term with a GPA closer to 3.8 since one my thesis is complete my research credits will be submitted. 

A few of my programs allow me to submit an extenuating circumstances essay, not that this is extenuating but it might give me a chance to explain.

Any ideas of how to frame this?

Thanks!!

2 answers to this question

First of all, I don;t think that a 3.65 is all that bad. But, I might talk to the instructor and ask if they could mention that in your letter. Also, I talked to a representative from  NYU that told me the most important aspects are your writing sample and the letters of rec. I would focus on those portions.