Writing Sample Too Short/Lacking Substantive Content

hector549

Hi all,

I've been looking around these forums for some time, but haven't posted until now. I'm currently working on my application material for the 2017 application season. Right now, I'm focusing on my writing sample. I'm trying to rework a paper to use as a sample that I wrote several years ago for a class. This paper is short, around 9 pages, and mostly expository. All the papers I have previously written for philosophy classes are similarly short, meaning 8-10 pages, and primarily expository in nature, meaning the part of the paper in which I'm advancing my own arguments is fairly small. Several of my former professors are advising me on my application process. One of them thinks the short and expository nature of my paper may be an issue for doctoral programs, although perhaps less so for MA programs. The other professor doesn't seem to think this is as much of an issue. I went to a large state school for my undergraduate degree that's in the PGR top 10, and graduated several years ago. I could've written a thesis and thus had a longer sample to work with, but chose not to do so. This is something I now regret. In any case, I'm trying to do the best with what I have. My options seem to be:

1. expand the paper I have a bit more, and expand my original ideas to comprise more of the paper

2. submit two similarly short and expository papers

3. attempt to write and edit a new sample in 5-6 weeks that is more focused on developing my own ideas

It's worth mentioning that I'm planning to apply primarily to well regarded master's programs (ones mentioned by PGR), but also to a few doctoral programs. Does anyone else have any thoughts or input? Did anyone have luck submitting a short, expository paper or two? Am I unnecessarily concerned about this? Right now, I'm inclined to either expand the paper I have, or attempt to write a new (perhaps related) sample. I do, however, feel I'm a bit rusty at writing about philosophy since it's been several years since I've finished my undergrad, and I'm fairly busy as I work full time.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I've never heard of someone applying with two writing samples! :o I think you're already in the page range for an acceptable writing sample as it is. The question I really have for you is this: do you think your sample will be ameliorated by explicating your original ideas? 

@desolesiii thanks for your reply. I do think that developing my original ideas will make for a stronger paper. I suppose my real concern is being able to do so in a significant way with the short time I have remaining. Because I feel rusty, I think I'm just concerned I'll add some half-baked ideas, but not have enough time to make them substantive. In any case, I'm inclined to do my best attempt, since it would potentially make for a stronger application.

To reply to your first point, I also wouldn't have thought submitting two short papers would be a great idea, but since my professor suggested it as an option, I was inclined to give it some credence.

Edited by jkm871

I don't think expanding it is necessarily a bad idea to expand it. Give to a few readers who you trust and ask for comments. Unless you're Gettier, they will probably point out a few areas where you could clarify something a bit better, explain your reasoning more clearly, or ward off a potential objection. This can easily give you a few extra pages and will probably make your paper stronger in the process.

Edited by Glasperlenspieler

I'm in agreement with the above comments. But I want to emphasize a bit more that you should add more of your own original argumentation to your paper. Of course, this assumes you paper is better as a result. If it cannot be made better by doing so, then I think you should either send it as is, or see if you have another paper you could amend in this way. 

And short papers can be a great asset. However, you have a lot of room to add your own argumentation, which makes it even more attractive to do so. 

Although I understand the feeling of 'rustiness' with respect to writing philosophy, you'll have to ask yourself: would you feel this way entering your MA or Phd program? If so, that's a little worrying. You'll have to brush up sometime, why not try and do so in improving this paper?

::Swoops in::

If your exposition is 8-10 pages, you probably haven't shown implications for your interpretation. Implications can conflict with other interpreters. Sounds like you can expand the paper quickly by critiquing other interpretations or showing how someone who exposits the same way doesn't admit the consequences you draw out consistently. This practice will connect your work with a larger body of philosophical literature. This, I think, is what an adcom would want to see with an exegetical paper.

Edited by Turretin
The key is that you want to connect your work with the academic community.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:44 PM, Turretin said:

::Swoops in::

If your exposition is 8-10 pages, you probably haven't shown implications for your interpretation. Implications can conflict with other interpreters. Sounds like you can expand the paper quickly by critiquing other interpretations or showing how someone who exposits the same way doesn't admit the consequences you draw out consistently. This practice will connect your work with a larger body of philosophical literature. This, I think, is what an adcom would want to see with an exegetical paper.

@Turretin, this is helpful advice. Thanks for your input. I found the following post by Eric Schwitzgebel from UC Riverside on writing samples that I found useful. Perhaps others working on revising their sample will also find it so: http://schwitzsplinters.blogspot.com/2007/10/applying-to-philosophy-phd-programs.html