Caltech on-line interview

JeremyW

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has ever had a skype interview for Caltech's biology PhD program and could shed some light on the process. The entire interview is only going to last for 15 minutes, are interviews usually this short? I thought these things would be at least 30 minutes. What are some common questions that are usually asked and also some precautions to take for skype interviews in general? As you can tell, I do not have any experience with grad school interviews and online interviews in general. Thank you very much for your time. 

On 2016年12月11日 at 10:53 AM, hippopotamus said:

same here. Are you both international students? Does anyone know if this is a pre-screening process for on-site interviews?

I am also! Got the same feeling here since it is only 15 minutes long.

Good luck guys...

My friend also got similar invitation from Caltech Neuroscience program. She's also an international applicant.

It's saying "3/4 of those applicant at this stage" would be invited to the formal interview.

Hope we are doing the same.

2 hours ago, hippopotamus said:

has anyone heard back yet for the caltech online interview? apparently we would be notified today

Mmh, did you not get an email yesterday? I had a technical difficulty last week so mine got rescheduled to today. I received an email yesterday saying that rescheduled interviews are happening today. I just had mine, so if you didn't receive an email, I would contact Liz right away. Maybe they are still contacting interviewees, but with the holidays coming up soon, I wouldn't just wait to find out.

EDIT: oops, I just realized you might have meant hearing back about the results of the interview, in which case, ignore what I said

Edited by JeremyW

4 hours ago, JeremyW said:

Mmh, did you not get an email yesterday? I had a technical difficulty last week so mine got rescheduled to today. I received an email yesterday saying that rescheduled interviews are happening today. I just had mine, so if you didn't receive an email, I would contact Liz right away. Maybe they are still contacting interviewees, but with the holidays coming up soon, I wouldn't just wait to find out.

EDIT: oops, I just realized you might have meant hearing back about the results of the interview, in which case, ignore what I said

yeah i meant the results! Maybe we'll find out later this week then

On 2016年12月13日 at 10:36 AM, desmond.bo said:

My friend also got similar invitation from Caltech Neuroscience program. She's also an international applicant.

It's saying "3/4 of those applicant at this stage" would be invited to the formal interview.

Hope we are doing the same.

She got formal interview this afternoon! Haven't heard anything for the biology program. Can't believe nobody in this thread got interview. Just hoping ours are on their way. :wacko:

Good luck guys.  The stress is so real.

• 1 year later...

hey, I just got offered the same online interview for bio, was wondering if anyone here could shed some light as to what the interview was like? The questions asked? Was it with just one random faculty member?  Much appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, bio_person said:

Same question--got the interview this year. Any of you all have advice as to what they might ask?

Hey, I'm posting here for next year's group. I got the google-hangouts interview and then was invited to the on-campus interview. They simply asked me to describe what my most exciting research was. They then asked if I wanted to continue that research in graduate school. Really simple questions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 6:35 PM, microbio2020 said:

Hey, I'm posting here for next year's group. I got the google-hangouts interview and then was invited to the on-campus interview. They simply asked me to describe what my most exciting research was. They then asked if I wanted to continue that research in graduate school. Really simple questions.

Hi,could you tell me how many people are invited to the on campus visit when you  finish the visit? Thank you ~ 

• 1 month later...