Questions tuition and programs

weshh

Hi,

I have a few questions. I am looking into applying to MSW programs for Fall 2017. I currently reside in FL (Orlando specifically). I have lived in Orlando all my life and am eager to spread my roots. 
I see graduate school + fieldwork/observation hours/licensure as a large commitment. 
Ideally, I would like to attend graduate school in another state and give myself time to grow in a new area/setting.

However, the tuition price difference between in state and out of state seems rather significant and I am having a difficult time weighing this decision. 

States I am interested in are Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California and New York. 

I have combed through various websites listing "most affordable MSW" programs, but I would like any recommendations that you could offer. Any programs that you know of that are relatively inexpensive for out of state tuition?

Is it an important factor to get your MSW in an area that you would want to live in post graduation?

Finally, are there any states that value or utilize the social work profession differently than other states?

Thanks for any help!

Wes

Hey there, 

Yes, it's important for you to go to school in the state where you want to eventually work because different states have different licensure requirements and most programs are built to help you meet that state's in particular (super annoying, I know). So if you get licensed to work in one state and decide to move somewhere else, you might need to take more classes/do more supervision hours in order to meet that state's requirements. Most public/state schools have cheaper tuition overall so they'll have cheaper out of state tuition than private unis. If you're willing to come a bit further north to Massachusetts (and to deal with our cold weather, lol) we treat social workers pretty well, but our cost of living is also higher... Hope this helps and good luck!!  

Hey,

I'm graduating from the U of SC's MSW program (in Columbia) in May 2017 and have been very happy with the program. The program has different specialties (aging, children, youth and families, military, health/mental health and military).

Our faculty is top-notch, we are in a beautiful, newly restored historical building, the campus is literally across the street from the State House, and many out-of-state MSW students receive paid graduate assistantships - the pay is about $300/month but students with a GA also receive in-state tuition and a discount on student health insurance. Plus, it also provides opportunities for students to work with different faculty. I believe there is also another program that futher reduces tuition for students in the mental health area. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 8:42 PM, BunnyMeadows said:

Hey,

I'm graduating from the U of SC's MSW program (in Columbia) in May 2017 and have been very happy with the program. The program has different specialties (aging, children, youth and families, military, health/mental health and military).

Our faculty is top-notch, we are in a beautiful, newly restored historical building, the campus is literally across the street from the State House, and many out-of-state MSW students receive paid graduate assistantships - the pay is about $300/month but students with a GA also receive in-state tuition and a discount on student health insurance. Plus, it also provides opportunities for students to work with different faculty. I believe there is also another program that futher reduces tuition for students in the mental health area. 

Oh wow, thanks for this! I looked at U of SC's MSW program before, but for some reason, it didn't make my list of schools to apply to.  Just looked it over and I'm considering applying.  I'm not from the area, but with a GA, tuition could be doable.

On 12/16/2016 at 9:42 PM, academicbirb said:

Hey there, 

Yes, it's important for you to go to school in the state where you want to eventually work because different states have different licensure requirements and most programs are built to help you meet that state's in particular (super annoying, I know). So if you get licensed to work in one state and decide to move somewhere else, you might need to take more classes/do more supervision hours in order to meet that state's requirements. Most public/state schools have cheaper tuition overall so they'll have cheaper out of state tuition than private unis. If you're willing to come a bit further north to Massachusetts (and to deal with our cold weather, lol) we treat social workers pretty well, but our cost of living is also higher... Hope this helps and good luck!!  

Actually, private universities often engage in more tuition discounting (raising tuition only to then hand out a lot of scholarships), whereas public universities often have far fewer scholarships so most people pay sticker price. I'm always concerned when I see people applying to a ton of out-of-state public schools.