Publications v. Writing Sample

RSMALLS

Perhaps some of you guys are in a similar boat, so this question may have some currency outside of myself. I am currently an M.A. student applying to Ph.D. programs in U.S. history. I did not get the quality of help on my writing sample from my advisors that I was hoping for. I was also very negligent. In short, there are a number of typos in the sample, and it is not as strong as it should be. I do, however, have two peer-reviewed publications under my belt. One in an online database for scholarly "encyclopedic" essays of 25-30 pages. The other being in a scholarly state historical journal of some repute. I also have a verbal GRE of 167 and a writing of 5.5. The question is: how valuable are my publications in terms of demonstrating my writing ability? Will they, in anyway, outweigh a poor writing sample?

Full disclosure, one has only been accepted and the acceptance notification did not come until after a few of the apps were due. The other was heavy on secondary sources but light on primary sources. What I sent was a chapter of my thesis. At the time, I felt it was stronger, but realized after the fact that it was not as strong as I would have liked it. 

Unless the POIs decide to look up your publications, there's not much you can do.  Just hope for the best and know that you can always try again next time!

Since your post is also for people "on the same boat" I would advise those other people to proof-read your writing sample. I know it is not what you, @RSMALLS, want to read, but typos are always a sign of laziness or rush.

That said, my dissertation prospectus had a HUGE typo on the first sentences. HUGE. Everyone in the department read this document, faculty, students, even staff. I cannot begin to tell you how many jokes I had for that silly mistake (in my case, it was laziness since I didn't want to read the thing another time).

So, yeah, typos are bad. Yet, AdComms are looking for you ability to do historical research. Typos are easy to teach to avoid: proof read your submissions. Historical analysis is more difficult and you should show some level of proficiency when you apply for graduate school. It sounds you made the right choice sending that writing sample. If typos don't distract the reader from your argument, I think you are fine, and -again- you made the right choice. 

The typos won't kill you unless there are many of them or you run into an especially pedantic adcom. That's the good (?) news. The bad news is that your writing sample is the most important component of your application, followed by your statement of purpose, followed by your recommendations, followed by everything else. If the people in charge of admitting you don't like your writing sample, your publications won't matter.

Edited by L13