Fall 2017 Theatre and Performance Studies PhDs

lemonboo

@Gamb1t

I liked BG and OSU a lot more than I expected to. Maryland was really lovely, but I'm not sure it is the best research fit. Still, the faculty and curriculum are really great. My favorite visit was Washington University in St. Louis. Great faculty, beautiful campus, supportive community, and really great fit. I think it is down to Maryland and WashU, but I am still not ready to decide.

How about you? Ready to make a decision?

@popbowiereed

I also really liked my visit to OSU.  Both of the classes I observed were right in line with the expectations I have for graduate studies.  However, there was a research concern there, as well.  The faculty member who most closely aligned with my interests actually retired in December.  I had no idea.  However, the dropoff to the second-choice wasn't too significant and also opened up doors to other interests.  My biggest concern with them is that it isn't a true joint MA/PhD program, so while the MA students are instructed alongside the PhD students, there appears to be some (albeit understandable) priority given to the PhD students.  Also, my funding situation there is not as favorable as your seems to be.  While I would love to attend, I have concerns about going into debt when I have fully-funded+ offers from other institutions.

I am still waiting to hear from Illinois Urbana-Champaign.  If I were to not factor in them or UNLV, I think my decision is actually down to OSU and UMKC (A place I really enjoyed with excellent opportunity for professional dramaturgy experience and 4 semesters of teaching assistantship).  I have a borderline absurd offer from SUNY-Binghamton, but I have a lot of concerns in the wake of my campus visit.  Either way, 4/15 is not too far away.

As for WashU, it is a great place.  I almost applied, but I have spent too much time in the StL area over the years.  I enjoyed it.  I did have a friend who got her BA in Linguistics from WashU and loved it.  I visited her a few times, and that campus does look incredible. 

Getting closer.  I've had an increased rate of email/phone correspondence with two schools for the past week.  Illinois' late decisions/offers are throwing a wrench in things, though.

I have officially accepted the offer to join the program at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  I feel great about the final decision, as difficult as it was.  I hope everyone else finds a peaceful end in their selection process. 

@popbowiereed, how did it turn out for you?

I'm going to be at Washington University in St. Louis! I had a difficult choice between there and Maryland, but I ultimately feel that this is the M.A. program for me and I feel really good about my decision. I hope everyone ended up at a place that is a good fit for them!

I will be attending UCI.

How are you all preparing for your programs? It's been a while since I've been in school, so I will need to recalibrate my brain. ;-P

For those of you who are waitlisted/still waiting to hear back, hang in there! Sending support.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 0:53 PM, starsloth said:

I will be attending UCI.

How are you all preparing for your programs? It's been a while since I've been in school, so I will need to recalibrate my brain. ;-P

For those of you who are waitlisted/still waiting to hear back, hang in there! Sending support.

Zot zot! 

• 3 weeks later...

Also, shoutout to UNLV for still having no updates on their decision process for the MA program.  It's been stuck at "Under Departmental Review" since February. Just something to keep in mind for any future applicants to that program that might be curious about a timeline.

I'm Applying this December for entrance Fall 2018. I'm also looking at a lot of those schools. I'm curious what the acceptance rate is for the U C schools. Anyone know?  I found the rate for Columbia and Northwestern (my top two choices) %5 and 10%

How did you all do? where did you end up choosing?

On 1/10/2017 at 0:33 AM, jetof7368 said:

Thank you. And I'm at Northwestern.

Best of luck to everyone.

How do you like the program at Northwestern. Its a top choice of mine.  I noticed that there is a PhD in Theatre/Drama and one in performance studies. I'm trying to figure out which I best fit, or which best fits me.  Thoughts on the difference between them?

I love Chicago!  I got my MFA from The Theatre School at DePaul, so it already feels like I'd be going back home.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:26 PM, DirectorsCoffee said:

I'm Applying this December for entrance Fall 2018. I'm also looking at a lot of those schools. I'm curious what the acceptance rate is for the U C schools. Anyone know?  I found the rate for Columbia and Northwestern (my top two choices) %5 and 10%

How did you all do? where did you end up choosing?

I'd be very cautious when paying attention to the published acceptance rates for any program, even the self-reported ones like Cornell.  The number of applicants varies so drastically from year to year, as does funding.

That being said, Stanford is the only Cali school I am considering for PhD programs.  The only reason is because I am not at all a fan of hot weather; however, I would endure it for Stanford.  I was accepted to a couple of PhD programs for next year, as well as several MA programs.  After visiting each of them to get a feel for the campus, town, and program, I ultimately decided to go with the MA program at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  It's only an MA program, but I think it is a great fit for my interests, and I believe it will give me a better shot at my top-choice programs when applying for PhD admission after the competition of their MA.