Fall 2010 Admission Results

So, yesterday I posted a seemingly innocuous question on this thread. "does anyone have any info on Cornell?" Twentyish minutes later (according to future posters) Cornell sent out admit notifications. Sadly I did not get one.

Now, I'm not implying that correlation = causation, but with the way this process works, who knows. Let's see if my magic skillz work again.

Does anyone know anything about Brown?

PS RE: the Columbia discussion. I finally logged into the Columbia application to check my status form, and it said Completed and Yes (at the department). However, I wouldn't read much into the timing of these updates. I would bet that updating these things is pretty low on the priority list.

Tut-tut, magic skills should not be overused :unsure:

[whispering] Could you try with Johns Hopkins by the way? ;)

If I don't hear anyting from UMN by noon central time, I'm gonna call after lunch! Haha, or someone else can, but I'm 99% sure that decisions have been made at this point, so I really don't see the harm (basing my guess on the fact that Judith M told me that it was likely we'd hear end of the week, and who the hell would tell people on a Friday?!)

I emailed Dr. Joanne Miller, and this is what she said:

Although I recognize how stressful the waiting is for you, Iunfortunately cannot provide any information about your status at thistime. If we start providing information to some people before others,then I and my administrative assistant will get bombarded with emailsand phone calls (we received 250 applications, so you can imagine howunwieldy that would get).

I'm sorry I can't provide any more information right now; everyone will hear from us next week.

If I don't hear anyting from UMN by noon central time, I'm gonna call after lunch! Haha, or someone else can, but I'm 99% sure that decisions have been made at this point, so I really don't see the harm (basing my guess on the fact that Judith M told me that it was likely we'd hear end of the week, and who the hell would tell people on a Friday?!)

@brouhaha: I am sorry to hear about it. But may I ask you whether it was a mass mail or have you asked them for your status?

Here's the body of the e-mail:

Thank you for your interest in the Cornell University Government Department's doctoral program. Your application for admission to the Graduate Program for Fall 2010 has been given careful consideration by the faculty. We regret to inform you that your application has not been approved.

This year's application process was the most competitive on record: we received more than 400 high-quality applications. This large number of applicants combined with the small size of our program (we average classes of 12 students) meant that we were able to extend offers to only a very small minority of those who wanted to study with us. We could easily fill a class size of twelve several times over with excellent students.

Once again, we sincerely appreciate your interest in Cornell and thank you for your application. On behalf of the entire faculty of the Government Department, I wish you success in continuing your studies.

It's in Rhode Island and sits on a hill overlooking a huge mall! :D

Thanks for the info SBL! ;)

Alas, I think my magical powers are waning. Maybe there are too many muggles in the area.....

Acceptances should be out tomorrow or Friday (or the beginning of next week at the very latest). I'm certainly not expecting to hear anything, but it will be nice to know that, for me at least, this long and unpleasant process is finally over.

Thanks for the info. How did you find this out? Or is it just guessing?

Although I recognize how stressful the waiting is for you, Iunfortunately cannot provide any information about your status at thistime. If we start providing information to some people before others,then I and my administrative assistant will get bombarded with emailsand phone calls (we received 250 applications, so you can imagine howunwieldy that would get).

I'm sorry I can't provide any more information right now; everyone will hear from us next week.

Annoying to hear it might not be until next week, but thanks for the info.

Edited by APGradApplicant

PS- Although there's no specific reference to it in the e-mail, you can tell from its content that Dr. Miller no doubt knows about Grad Cafe biggrin.gif

Does anyone know whether Cornell sent out the first round of acceptances in one batch or was it subfield divided?

All Cornell admits and waitlisted candidates were notified last night. They are now sending out rejections one by one but with the same unpersonalized email - I contacted the department.

Hi everyone!

Out of curiousity: Has anyone applying for NYU - International Relations heard anything yet or

know when they usually send out their decisions?

Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know any figures on UMass Amherst as far as how many applied this year, how many they usually accept? There are 3 acceptances on the results page, and I know two claimed on here. But I'm hanging my hopes on UMass, so I'm dying to know anything anyone can provide. I don't expect to get in though. Last year I applied to the MA and was rejected, now I'm about to finish my MA and don't think that will change things much.

No insider information. I just based this on when acceptances have been reported in the last couple of years. I really should've added that, and so I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

anyone heard from Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences or Harvard's Health Policy? good luck everyone!

OK, here's the info I obtained from UMN from Judith:

Hello,

We're still finalizing the admit decisions, but we expect to be able

to notify everyone by Monday.

Judith

Have a fun weekend, applicants! I know I will blink.gif

I wonder if they will accept earlier and then process the rejections on Monday. This is the only school left that I might consider over my current acceptance. It'll be nice to have this part done.

I wonder if they will accept earlier and then process the rejections on Monday. This is the only school left that I might consider over my current acceptance. It'll be nice to have this part done.

I doubt it only because if you look above, their DGS seems to be well aware of the way that Grad Cafe works, per her comments. That makes me think that when she says that everyone will be notified at once, that literally means everyone, similar to the way UCSD and UT-Austin went about doing their notifications.