Fall 2010 Admission Results

I finally got a notification on one school! Very excited to be accepted at Georgia, as I like their program very much. Regardless of what I finally decide, it's a huge relief to be in somewhere.

Congrats! I can imagine the thrill of getting accepted - it must be fantastic! All the better that you really like their program.

Congrats to you, too, Ziz and Bobb and thanks for the kind words from the other posters as well. It's still so early in the season, and while it's nice to know that I'm not going to have to post in the "What if you don't get into any schools?" topic forum, let's remember that it's one down, 16 to go. Also, Bobb, glad to see that the TAMU acceptance on the results posting wasn't a fake. I guess the American schools are just getting started. I imagine that this topic forum will grow considerably between now and the end of March!

Across my desk during lunchtime:

REPORT: COMMITTEES CONVENING AND MOVING THIS WEEK -(STOP)- FIRST SUBSTANTIAL WAVE OF DECISIONS EXPECTED NEXT WEEK -(STOP)- UCD, ROCHESTER, MSU MAKING DECISIONS WED.-THURS. -(STOP)- UIUC GRADUATE COMMITTEE MEETING LATER THIS WEEK; CANCELLATION OF FALL '10 COHORT RUMORED -(STOP)-

What I'm hearing is that at a minimum, the next cohort will not receive department funding or tuition waiver. If that's the case, the question of whether there will be incoming students at all may well be rendered moot.

Source: Sourced source at www.poliscijobrumors.com

Edited by Ferrero

That's such bad news! And such an anti-climax if it is true.. if there's no cohort at all I'll feel sort-of cheated for paying the application fee + GRE just to apply to that institution when there was never a chance of being accepted.

Still, I'll wait for confirmation and hope the committee.. let me in and fund me anyway :P

Edited by Sanssouci

I know that supposedly Georgia and Kansas funded several students less than usual last time as did Oklahoma. Also, I think Northern Arizona was mentioned as well. I also remember some other discussions on here and elsewhere about programs cutting way back, and some to the extent of funding no students. There were several complaints lodged regarding the fact these schools failed to announce this in the beginning of the application cycle. I only had direct experience with one of these, so maybe I am simply spreading rumors. I was mainly referring to the fact this seemed to have happened a bit last year due to the economy, and it appears that schools and administrators (not necessarily faculty) have little remorse for it. It is unfortunate that it may continue, especially at a place like UIUC.

I just got into UC Davis not five minutes ago by e-mail! I got first quarter fully paid for + $5,400 stipend with the expectation of all five years paid for through a combination of Teaching Assistant assignments, Research Assistant assignments, and Readerships.

Such a relief to get in SOMEWHERE! Hopefully this bodes well for things to come. :lol:

It's slightly ambiguous, but I think/hope it means quarter.

"During your first year, our Department would like to offer you a department scholarship for one quarter during the 2010-2011 academic year that will provide you with a $5,400.00 stipend and pay the full costs of your in-state fees."

Congrats to the UC-Davis people; that's awesome. It sounds like that stipend is per quarter, since the email talked about a scholarship for the first quarter. Also, $5,400 per year is not exactly liveable.

Here's to great news for everyone in the coming weeks!

Congratulations indeed! Hopefully the funding situation works itself out. It sounds like the fun is starting a little early this year. Personally, I just got an email from a professor at one of my schools letting me know that I had an appealing application and should keep in touch with him through the process! Exciting times!

Edited by great joy

Thank you everyone for the congrats. I don't want to spark any controversy (although I'm sure I will as I'm 99% my views are the minority here) but between my acceptance at UCD today and Scott B. winning the MA Senate race tonight, I can say that this was a great day!