Fall 2010 Admission Results

I echo cpaige ferrero, you can't be a grad student at all of these programs. And you have already made a statement about a grad program (UIUC) that you are incorrect about (i know, I'm a current student). Please provide your sources or stop posting what appear to be either guesses or false information.

I echo cpaige ferrero, you can't be a grad student at all of these programs. And you have already made a statement about a grad program (UIUC) that you are incorrect about (i know, I'm a current student). Please provide your sources or stop posting what appear to be either guesses or false information.

I think I will be vindicated about UIUC.

Perhaps you are right about one thing, tidefan, i.e., that I should lie low. It's a stressful time.

Edited by Ferrero

I don't know that it's entirely appropriate to use the word "vindicated" when your opinion is that UIUC's financial troubles will lead them to deny people the opportunity to further their education at that school.

As it is being challenged by tidefan, I disagree.

No offense intended against UIUC in all this, of course. I am basing this on my read of the budget situation facing the UI system (cf. http://www.poliscijobrumors.com/topic.php?id=21410&page=5#post-141988, where tidefan seems to be contradicted).

Edited by Ferrero

I understand that some things have been posted on other sites questioning what is going on with the budget situation. Having spoken with the DGS, I can tell you that, while we will have a smaller class than usual, we will indeed have a class, and that the financial aid packages will be similar to what has been given in the past

I understand that some things have been posted on other sites questioning what is going on with the budget situation. Having spoken with the DGS, I can tell you that, while we will have a smaller class than usual, we will indeed have a class, and that the financial aid packages will be similar to what has been given in the past

Well, you said on the last page that it would be the same size as last year, which is what I took issue with. Maybe they were both small? That would explain things. Regardless, good to see that the program will weather what is a tough stretch with little notice.

Well, you said on the last page that it would be the same size as last year, which is what I took issue with. Maybe they were both small? That would explain things. Regardless, good to see that the program will weather what is a tough stretch with little notice.

At UIUC, 2009's class was about 10 students. It looks like it will be the same for next year. Our department is much better off financially than other departments or the university as a whole. It's all thanks to a great previous chair, a great current chair, and a DGS on top of things. So to applicants, don't freak. Anyone who gets in should still get the same funding package the rest of us have.

Does anyone know anything about the Political Science acceptance from Brown that was posted on the results page? I'm just a little curious since their application still isn't due for another week (Feb 1). According to the results page, Brown usually notifies in late Feb. They did just send out one of those mass emails basically stating that applications will be reviewed soon.

Are we going to write this one off as likely false as well, like we did with the ones from Cal Berkeley?

**ah the above post was not there when I starting writing this**

Edited by Cicero

Does anyone know anything about the Political Science acceptance from Brown that was posted on the results page? I'm just a little curious since their application still isn't due for another week (Feb 1). According to the results page, Brown usually notifies in late Feb. They did just send out one of those mass emails basically stating that applications will be reviewed soon.

Are we going to write this one off as likely false as well, like we did with the ones from Cal Berkeley?

**ah the above post was not there when I starting writing this**

Got an email stating they are going to be reviewing apps soon. No mention on approximately when decisions will be rendered.

Not me. Did anyone just get an email from Cornell about app being complete that started with "Congratulations!"? I almost fell out of my chair.

They said decisions should be ready by mid-March. Seems late.

That is cruel. We'll know in February.

I swear they know how we read into e-mails that start with Congrats! They all laugh maniacally as they compose those messages.

I wouldnt be surprised if they started the message "we're glad to inform you that... your application has been submitted" :D cold blooded :)