Fall 2010 Admission Results

Of course I am not the Brandeis acceptance. You should have learned that my luck is TERRIBLE! :/

If that acceptance is genuine, then I am officially rejected by all of my choices.

Though I'd really appreciate to learn who the accepted person is. I had very strong insider info that they were to accept 4 people this year.

On another note, I contacted Yale, on a whim, asking what was wrong with my application. Apparently I never made it to the second round of applications because of either my GPA or my GRE. My GPA is >3.98, so I really hope it wasn't my grades. My GRE, though, was 730V, 600Q, 5.0AW. It must have been those scores that did it, esp. the math. It really disheartened me because their average scores are 550-800 for both sections. I know it's all a money-making enterprise, but they should have been more clear about the cutoffs. Yes, yes, I know, if I am serious about grad school then I should study for the GRE harder because that's part of playing the game yada yada yada. I know. But to have my application basically thrown out because of math scores when I am applying for political philosophy, after I worked my ass off for four years resulting in all kinds of physical/mental issues because of the stress, really hurts. And the person who emailed me had the nerve to say "work harder."

Edit: Sorry for whining. I know it isn't useful except for my own selfish cathartic purposes. It just sucks that we have to play the game, no matter how stupid the rules are. I thought I didn't have to study for math b/c I thought my grades and coursework and the fact I want to study political philosophy would speak for themselves. But they don't. I bet our hair would curl if we saw how our applications are really treated--i.e., thrown out on the basis of numbers which say little about who we are as people or as scholars. I know someone will disagree with me, saying that math skills involve logic and it implies something about my thinking ability, but I haven't suffered in any philosophy courses yet due to lack of mathematical training.

Second edit: I reversed my scores by accident. Should make more sense now.

Don't take rejections so hard. The competition is usually stiffer than you know and a lot of times even if you worked harder, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Even if you got perfect scores, lots of people from better schools with better degrees did, too. It doesn't mean you're not smart or didn't work hard. It's just that so very many brilliant people apply.

I used to work in a grad admissions department at a top 5 school and it was almost obvious which candidates stood out the most. I always felt bad for people who had obviously worked hard, gone to decent schools, but probably didn't stand a chance against some of those who stood out the most. You'd be surprised how many Princeton grads with law degrees from Stanford with perfect scores go on to apply for more schooling right after finishing up law school. It's just tough.

editted for grammar. sorry, my pet peeve.

Edited by qazwerty

Of course I am not the Brandeis acceptance. You should have learned that my luck is TERRIBLE! :/

If that acceptance is genuine, then I am officially rejected by all of my choices.

Though I'd really appreciate to learn who the accepted person is. I had very strong insider info that they were to accept 4 people this year.

Someone posted on the results page that the Brandeis acceptance is fake.

For those waiting for CUNY, I really don't think their decisions are done. They aren't having their visiting day until the first week in April. Just watch out for funding. They don't tell you about funding until after you accept. They also claim to not have any official statistics on placement or attrition rates and mostly place in the NYC area. They don't even have a list of institutions where students were recently placed. A little scary huh?

Same, although I got a good funding package-I'm sure you'll get good news about funding soon! Congrats!

Congrats to you as well!

I just received a follow-up from Glasgow. He said only a select few received financial awards. (You're apparently one of the chosen ones!) The majority of stipends/TAships will be determined after the April 15th deadline. Nevertheless, most students do receive some sort of funding.

He also said he's organizing the new admit day in early April. We'll be notified soon. If so, will you be attending?

For those waiting for CUNY, I really don't think their decisions are done. They aren't having their visiting day until the first week in April. Just watch out for funding. They don't tell you about funding until after you accept. They also claim to not have any official statistics on placement or attrition rates and mostly place in the NYC area. They don't even have a list of institutions where students were recently placed. A little scary huh?

That's actually the very reason I didn't apply to CUNY!! Before applying I spoke with Joe Rollins and asked about placement records. He was quite churlish and had "no idea" why the department doesn't track placements. The experience was such a turn-off.

That's actually the very reason I didn't apply to CUNY!! Before applying I spoke with Joe Rollins and asked about placement records. He was quite churlish and had "no idea" why the department doesn't track placements. The experience was such a turn-off.

I've already decided on Rutgers but I just found my conversation with Joe Rollins ridiculous. Who wants to start a 5+ year program without knowing in advance what chance you have of getting a job afterward. I spoke to another member of the faculty (I will leave the name unknown) who said I should only apply to CUNY as my safety school because they have a terrible placement rate. It just seems like a place where their own professors think the department stinks. That doesn't seem like a place anyone would want to be.

There seems to be a pattern with the results submissions. Trolls stalk the forums and try to figure out what the latest school is that people are anxiously waiting on. Then, they decide it would be fun to post false info to get people even more nervous. I'm not a profiler, but my guess is the average person in this instance is white male, probably overweight, rejected from all programs to which he applied, living in Mom and Dad's basement even though he's 29, and chances are he's probably never gotten laid. Maybe I should switch careers and be one of those people on Criminal Minds. wink.gif

There seems to be a pattern with the results submissions. Trolls stalk the forums and try to figure out what the latest school is that people are anxiously waiting on. Then, they decide it would be fun to post false info to get people even more nervous. I'm not a profiler, but my guess is the average person in this instance is white male, probably overweight, rejected from all programs to which he applied, living in Mom and Dad's basement even though he's 29, and chances are he's probably never gotten laid. Maybe I should switch careers and be one of those people on Criminal Minds. wink.gif

Come on man, I'm not a troll :(

But apparently not for spelling, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist...just in good fun! smile.gif

doesn't count! edit coincided with the misspell! unless I edit the edit?

lol, tried, it is too late

Edited by qazwerty

How did you get your rejection?

I received a sketchy mailing from American telling me about a one -year graduate program...when I definitely applied to SIS.

Form letter received via USPS... Not sure what to think of the email they sent you. If you haven't received a rejection it might be positive. As I'm fond of saying, 'no news is good news'!

I've already decided on Rutgers but I just found my conversation with Joe Rollins ridiculous. Who wants to start a 5+ year program without knowing in advance what chance you have of getting a job afterward. I spoke to another member of the faculty (I will leave the name unknown) who said I should only apply to CUNY as my safety school because they have a terrible placement rate. It just seems like a place where their own professors think the department stinks. That doesn't seem like a place anyone would want to be.

Interestingly, most of the other social science departments do in fact publish their placements. I found that a small percentage of their students have landed jobs at top-rate schools, i.e. Ivies. My professor responded that it may be a result of the ability of CUNY students to attend courses within NYC's academic consortium. Students might be able to get a Columbia/NYU professor to sit on their committee and obviously assist with placement. Of course, this is just my professor's theory. The fact that the poly sci dept doesn't track its placements remains a serious concern.

Edited by gravityflyer

There have been several result post about UCLA.... Did rejection come from mass email ? Also, are they done with the acceptance? I haven't heard anything about this school, and this makes me quite panic....:unsure:

There have been several result post about UCLA.... Did rejection come from mass email ? Also, are they done with the acceptance? I haven't heard anything about this school, and this makes me quite panic....:unsure:

They rejected a few at 2:59 am EST last Friday, then some more at 2:59 am EST on Saturday (including me). Maybe they're rejecting as they accepted (by subfield).

I'm still waiting on what are presumably rejections from UCLA, Columbia, and NYU. We also haven't heard from the DC caucus, i.e. GW, G-Town, and American. Above all, I'm still waiting on USC - the deadline was Dec 1 and I know several of us still haven't heard anything!

Definitely, neither did I hear any news from Columbia,NYU and universities in D.C. For me, all the news I learnt are rejection last month! I'd better believe no news is good news and March is a good start of spring for me.

Good luck for everyone waiting for the results.