Chances of gaining admittance to Ph.D program in Cell/Molecular Biology

rachelvasquez93

Stats so far:

UG GPA: 3.6 (have recently graduated)

Major: Biological Science (BS) with a concentration in Molecular Biology and a minor in Chemistry

University: Lower-mid tier state school (San Jose State University)

GPA for last 2 years of UG: ~3.5

Research experience: So far, minimal. Have completed a 10 week internship, have been volunteering in a research lab for 7 months. By the time I apply, I will have about just below 2 years of research experience. 

Info about me: Latina female, 23 y/o, will be 24 y/o when I apply

No GRE score yet, I will aim to score in the 85th percentile at least

Do I have a chance of gaining admittance to a Ph.D program for Molecular and Cell Biology? 

Schools I'm considering:

University of Washington Seattle

New Mexico State University

University of Texas Austin

University of California Irvine

University of California Davis (this would be my reach)

University of Colorado Denver

Please let me know what chances you think I have based on your research and experience. Also, besides scoring high on the GRE, what should I do to improve my chances of gaining admittance?

Edited by rachelvasquez93

On 12/26/2016 at 1:38 PM, rachelvasquez93 said:

Stats so far:

UG GPA: 3.6 (have recently graduated)

Major: Biological Science (BS) with a concentration in Molecular Biology and a minor in Chemistry

University: Lower-mid tier state school (San Jose State University)

GPA for last 2 years of UG: ~3.5

Research experience: So far, minimal. Have completed a 10 week internship, have been volunteering in a research lab for 7 months. By the time I apply, I will have about just below 2 years of research experience. 

Info about me: Latina female, 23 y/o, will be 24 y/o when I apply

No GRE score yet, I will aim to score in the 85th percentile at least

Do I have a chance of gaining admittance to a Ph.D program for Molecular and Cell Biology? 

Schools I'm considering:

University of Washington Seattle

New Mexico State University

University of Texas Austin

University of California Irvine

University of California Davis (this would be my reach)

University of Colorado Denver

Please let me know what chances you think I have based on your research and experience. Also, besides scoring high on the GRE, what should I do to improve my chances of gaining admittance?

So, based on my experience, your GPA should be fine (I'm in a slightly different field - Computational Biology), but I have a similar GPA and haven't had a problem getting interviews. Aim as high as you can for the GRE.

I think two of the key things are research experience and letters of recommendation. Need to be able to demonstrate that you've done something - try to present your research, if possible. Make sure you have great letters of recommendation. These are the two key things in getting into top PhD programs...

As for your list - UW Seattle is difficult to get into, as is Davis. The others are good choices, in my humble opinion.