Another adcom insider thread about grad admissions...

ReadytoStart

The comments were intriguing, I agree. I especially think the point about a student with a 2.3 who is fighting a disease is a valid one.

Just a question: would the no math beyond calculus thing be a problem for a English PhD applicant? Or was that specific to Physics? Now I'm worried (er).

This might sound a bit morbid, but if somebody wrote in an SOP that they have a low GPA because of a chronic condition (not like they overcame cancer, but something that is persistent) would that have a negative impact on admissions? Wouldn't an adcomm be hesitant to admit somebody whose life is less than certain?

Edited by solairne

This might sound a bit morbid, but if somebody wrote in an SOP that they have a low GPA because of a chronic condition (not like they overcame cancer, but something that is persistent) would that have a negative impact on admissions? Wouldn't an adcomm be hesitant to admit somebody whose life is less than certain?

The adcomm who would do that must have a heart of ice.

The adcomm who would do that must have a heart of ice.

At the risk of sounding heartless myself, I have to disagree here. They're probably just being practical in making a very tough decision. Among other things, ad comms are concerned with your potential for achievement post-graduation. They want to admit people who are going to go out and make a name for themselves in their respective fields, because this reflects well on their program. This is why instructions for SOPs typically tell you to describe your career plans. If you say you want to be a homemaker or work at Starbucks, they're not going to admit you, because what's the point? You'd just be wasting their resources in their eyes. Granted, these are extreme and ridiculous examples, but I use them to make a point. If you're not going to research and publish and bring glory to your alma mater, you're just not as valuable to them. And the same thing applies if your career is likely going to be stunted by health problems. Is it fair? No, but life's not fair. Remember, with the huge number of applicants, many ad comms are looking for reasons to reject rather than reasons to admit. Sadly, chronic (and especially potentially fatal) health conditions probably fall into that category, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Speaking as someone who works with students with disabilities at a very prestigious university... Universities LOVE DIVERSITY, and disability counts as diversity.

There are special offices to recruit students of disadvantaged and minority backgrounds, and more and more schools also have disability services programs and/or advocates who try to include those students, too. Faculty hate it, but even here they're starting to catch on.

Everyone loves an overcoming obstacles narrative, too.

I think the issue of extenuating circumstances of any kind (such as health issues of the applicant himself or their loved one) is a double-edged sword, since it can either hurt the applicant or help him/her to stand out. Personal example: I had to deal with some serious illness in the family, so I mentioned that in my SOP. The reason I decided to talk about it was that, at least in my eyes, the experience made me a stronger person and cemented my dedication to academic research. However, a friend of mine who used to be on the adcoms a couple of times advised me to be very careful in describing that part of my life. In the eyes of the adcom, such issue might be seen as a distraction - say, the university X takes NeuroNerd to their program and NeuroNerd's family problem comes back. Then what will happen - will she drop out? that will not do. One thing they want is as much certainty about the applicant as possible. So any similar issue should be explained very carefully in the SOP in order to avoid any unnecessary confusion.

I'm not saying people with chronic afflictions aren't capable of success in academia. I'm just saying that admission of such a condition in an SOP is likely to raise a red flag with ad comms, who are, as I mentioned previously, looking for reasons to reject an applicant. That's all. No offense meant, and I'm certainly not judging anyone's abilities.

Also, I read the OP's post as a question about a debilitating illness, for what it's worth. And that, I think, is probably more cause for concern when it comes to deliberating who should be admitted.

Edited by rogue

Everyone loves an overcoming obstacles narrative, too.

Unless your disability freaks the shit out of everyone who finds out. Then...not so much.

My (chronic, permanent) disorder stayed very, very far from my SOP and any conversations with faculty, I guarantee you. I made my LOR writers promise not to give an 'overcoming obstacles' spiel, either. We can talk all day about the joys of "diversity," but when someone raises the modern equivalent of Leper, leper and others have a gut-jerk reaction of fear, all the "diversity" in the world isn't going to help your case.

You guys are biased, and should really think about what you're saying. Health and youth are no guarantee you won't develop a disease down the line, btw.

Yes.

Unless your disability freaks the shit out of everyone who finds out. Then...not so much.

My (chronic, permanent) disorder stayed very, very far from my SOP and any conversations with faculty, I guarantee you. I made my LOR writers promise not to give an 'overcoming obstacles' spiel, either. We can talk all day about the joys of "diversity," but when someone raises the modern equivalent of Leper, leper and others have a gut-jerk reaction of fear, all the "diversity" in the world isn't going to help your case.

Yes.

Edited by red_crayons