I_mix

Question

I'm currently applying for a doctoral program and I'm a little worried that I may be unqualified to attend as a doctoral student. However, I'm bent on pursuing doctoral studies in that program (because of the researchers I want to work with).

My questions are:

• How often do you get offered admission to a masters (instead) if you're rejected from PhD programs?
  • Should I just apply for a masters instead and roll it over to a PhD?
  • Should I ask the program director about this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by I_mix

2 answers to this question

Why do you think you're unqualified?

Most programs that offer PhD's will have a sentence or two in there about not offering terminal masters (as in, if you apply to the program you get the masters along the way, but you are still there for a PhD), but without knowing the program or why you think you're unqualified, I don't think anyone can fully answer this for you. I can also tell you that many programs that do accept for terminal masters don't want students also attending there for a PhD, but this might vary by program and subject.

Thanks for the response. My reasons for asking this question are because I don't really have publications or literally any science to my name. While I am currently writing a research thesis, I'm still worried that not having publications or even poster presentations (yet) will ruin my chances of getting into a doctoral program.