Submitting extract as a writing sample

ConfusedStudent

The program I'm applying to requires a writing sample of no more than 2000 words. However, the graduate website says that longer pieces are acceptable as long as a section of 2000 words is clearly highlighted. I'd like to go with the latter option - I have a 7000-word paper that I consider to be my strongest work.
But I'm wondering what is the acceptable way to set apart an extract of the required length. Should it be in bold, or should I use a different font? Or would it be better simply to submit an extract with a cover note, rather than submit a longer work in its entirety? I'd be grateful for any advice!

How far into the paper is the selected text? I wouldn't make them dig too far for it. If it's near the beginning, I think I'd sooner gray out the remainder text (either the font or via gray highlight) and include an indication in bold of the start and end of the selection. Highlighting or bolding the selected text might make it difficult to read. Try a couple approaches and show others; get some opinions on what looks most obvious while still being readable.

I would propose to submit the text as is without any special formatting, at least nothing that isn't subtle. Attach a (short!) cover note stating which pages/sections the adcom should concentrate on. I wouldn't do anything that looks odd or would make it more difficult for them to read the whole thing, like highlighting that extends for the full 2000 words or graying out the other parts of the text. That said, if there is some simple and unobtrusive way to indicate where the highlighted text begins and ends, you might also add that; I'm imagining something a small note along the margins, or maybe some heading.