February 15th Deadline for decision

bgav

Yesterday I got an acceptance to one of the Ph.D. programs I applied to. In the letter, the program said that they wanted me to tell them by February 15th (at the latest) whether I am going to enroll. I am definitely interested in enrolling at school, but I don't think I can make a decision by the 15th. Any advice?

Yesterday I got an acceptance to one of the Ph.D. programs I applied to. In the letter, the program said that they wanted me to tell them by February 15th (at the latest) whether I am going to enroll. I am definitely interested in enrolling at school, but I don't think I can make a decision by the 15th. Any advice?

The offer I ended up accepting had a March 31 deadline. I contacted them and said that I was definitely interested, but I didn't feel like I could make a final decision until early April, as one of my school visits was scheduled for April 2.

They said that, since I'd let them know, it was fine to take longer. They wanted to know before April 15 so that, if I were going to turn them down, they could offer someone else my funding before the April 15 deadline.

Basically I think people don't want an applicant to be stringing along 5+ schools until the very last minute...this was one of my top 2 choices (I told them so when I asked for an extension) so they were happy to give me extra time.

• 2 weeks later...

And from me.

EDIT: The PDF version says "The following list includes CGS member institutions that indicated their support of the Resolution." There's not a full overlap between that list and a full list of members. It would seem that those who have not "indicated their support" are not bound by it?

Edited by profound_g

My understanding of CGS has been that it only applies to funded offers.

At any rate, I second everything UnlikelyGrad has said. Schools don't want a bunch of applicants stringing them along and, in these days of tight finances, probably want the opportunity to offer the funding to another qualified applicant who they might otherwise have to reject.