UCI CLS - Interview & Recruitment Event

Hi ya'll, 

Today, I heard back from UCI and was invited to the interview and recruitment event on January 26-27th. I'm not sure what to expect and pretty nervous.
Question: How do the interviews usually go? How many people do they reject after the interview/recruitment event? Does anyone have previous experience or info on what to expect?

Thank you so much!! Good luck to everyone during this anxiety filled time!!

Edited by waitnhope

11 hours ago, waitnhope said:

Hi ya'll, 

Today, I heard back from UCI and was invited to the interview and recruitment event on January 26-27th. I'm not sure what to expect and pretty nervous.
Question: How do the interviews usually go? How many people do they reject after the interview/recruitment event? Does anyone have previous experience or info on what to expect?

Congrats! I'm still waiting for an interview (that is, if they are still notifying people). Did you get the notice via email? On my application tracker, it still says "being reviewed".

Sorry for not being able to answer some of your questions, but I truly do congratulate you on your invitation!! :D And best of luck!!

12 hours ago, waitnhope said:

Hi ya'll, 

Congratulations on the interview invitation! I'm not sure the answer to your questions but it is very exciting to have such an opportunity. 

On 1/13/2017 at 7:59 AM, AspiringScholar17 said:

Congrats! I'm still waiting for an interview (that is, if they are still notifying people). Did you get the notice via email? On my application tracker, it still says "being reviewed".

I received a phone call, with a follow up email the following morning! I checked my tracker and it also states, "being reviewed". I know some people received a phone call the next day, so I would wait to hear back this week! *fingers crossed*

On 1/12/2017 at 10:54 PM, waitnhope said:

Hi ya'll, 

I'm going as well! I'm excited but fairly terrified at the same time. Have you been preparing for the interviews? I've been trying to this weekend but idk how to go about this stuff interviews are not my strong suit unfortunately :wacko:

I'm nervous as well! I don't know what to expect either. Do you all know how many students they accept every year? 

Also, I just received my itinerary today. Do you all know how the faculty meetings will happen? Are those one-on-one or more like group interviews? 

I got mine today too! It seems like the faculty meetings will be one on one with each faculty member and then maybe a group interview? I really don't know though. That's just a guess. And it looks like their cohort sizes are around 10 each year. I've heard that schools usually admit roughly double the number of the cohort that they want, so maybe around 20. But again, that's also just a guess. 

If anybody actually knows the answers, I'd also love to know. 

4 hours ago, waitnhope said:

I'm nervous as well! I don't know what to expect either. Do you all know how many students they accept every year? 

Also, I just received my itinerary today. Do you all know how the faculty meetings will happen? Are those one-on-one or more like group interviews? 

3 hours ago, a little-stitious said:

I got mine today too! It seems like the faculty meetings will be one on one with each faculty member and then maybe a group interview? I really don't know though. That's just a guess. And it looks like their cohort sizes are around 10 each year. I've heard that schools usually admit roughly double the number of the cohort that they want, so maybe around 20. But again, that's also just a guess. 

If anybody actually knows the answers, I'd also love to know. 

Yikes group interview sounds like something out of my nightmares one on one already has me anxious enough 

I don't know anything about how many people they admit but it looks like maybe 26 were invited based on the last email where you could see all the other addresses it was sent to

11 hours ago, waitnhope said:

Anyone else not like the short interview that lasted 10-15 minutes? I felt as though it was too short and the interviewers were too drained. 

Definitely my least favorite of all arrange face-to-face faculty interactions. Unfortunately, the grad student mentioned these carry more weight on the decision process. 

2 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Definitely my least favorite of all arrange face-to-face faculty interactions. Unfortunately, the grad student mentioned these carry more weight on the decision process. 

Yikes! Well, they emphasized how they accept most students who attend the recruitment event. Hopefully we are the lucky ones!

11 hours ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

Yikes I had the other interviewers and that was the one part that was a nightmare for me

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

The longer we wait and the more I think about my interviews, the more "mistakes" I remember making. 

I swear I think of a better response to questions I fucked up at least once a day I'm ready to get it over with and hear a decision for better or for worse at this point haha 

6 minutes ago, wknd_worrier said:

I swear I think of a better response to questions I fucked up at least once a day I'm ready to get it over with and hear a decision for better or for worse at this point haha 

Same.

Hopefully we get decisions soon.

In sure you all did a lot better than you think you did. Have faith/hope! I didn't make this account with an anonymous type name so you all probably know exactly who I am but, everyone I met there was super smart and a real contender! You all definitely have a shot!