Issue Task - Please critique it!

blu_skyee

Hello! I've written an issue essay for awa portion. I would really appreciate it if I could get some feedback on it. I wrote this under real test conditions so please be harsh if necessary. Thanks in advance.

A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.

Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider the possible consequences of implementing the policy and explain how these consequences shape your position.

All students deserve the same quality of education and to be provided with the tools to succeed in the future. I believe that a nation should require all of its students to study the same curriculum until they enter college because this measure allows every student to succeed on equal terms as well as guarantees that everyone has received the educational background necessary to make it in college.

When all of the students in a nation are required to follow the same curriculum it levels the playing field for everyone. This measure guarantees that all students will have been exposed to the same material and thus ensures the students’ qualifications for admissions are well deserved. I believe that if all students have the same educational background it would be easier for universities to evaluate whether a student is ready for the rigor of their curriculum and accurately predicts their success in comparison to their peers. Being accepted into college is the most important goal for most high school students. Therefore, it is equally important to have the same opportunity to get in as any other student in the country when it comes to academics.

It is also important to note that not all students are the same and treating them as such may be detrimental to their learning potential. This eminent downfall in the previously lauded system can be accounted for by promoting different teaching styles from all teachers to make sure that all students have the opportunity to excel. Also, promoting the same general curriculum does not take away the student’s opportunity to stand out from the crowd and follow their passions. They will still have electives to choose from and extra-curricular activities.

In conclusion, a nation should definitely require the same curriculum until college because it exposes all students to the material necessary to succeed in the future. Although there are potential downfalls, I believe there are ways to account for them.