Please evaluate my profile

shravzhere

GRE- 1140 (Q-750, V-390)

Undergrad in electrical engineering - 3.85 GPA

MS in electrical engineering - 3.67 GPA

3 Publications - 2 conference proceedings, 1 journal

1 Report of Invention (Patent in process)

Author of a Book

Active member of IETE, ASME and NSF IGERT

Prizes in Technical Extempore

3 Recommendation letters from Co authors of my papers

Applied for Phd in Electrical engineering in Yale & MIT...?

Any chances of getting admitted....rolleyes.gif

GRE- 1140 (Q-750, V-390)

Author of a Book

Author of a book? Are you kidding? What book?

Sorry I don't think so for a top-ranked school. The fact that you scored a 750Q will disqualify you from serious consideration for any technical PhD at MIT, Yale, Stanford, etc.

That's not necessarily true. The GRE is not that important. If you are worried about not meeting a sweeping cut-off, try emailing a professor and get them interested in your work, so if you are swept aside because of a GRE score, the professor will go get your application and read it anyway.

I don't know if seadub is entirely wrong in their thinking about the Q score - don't some of the elite engineering schools have very high Q cut offs - like 780/790? I thought I read something about that elsewhere on these boards, I could be wrong.

Even if that was true, with those grades and as much as this person has been published - I think they might be willing to overlook it.

I still can't get over people calling 750 low - haha.

I really think if you contact a professor who is interested in your work, your GRE doesn't matter. Some people just don't test well, and if everything else about your candidature is ideal, I don't see why a program would reject you simply because of a 'low' 750Q.

That's not necessarily true. The GRE is not that important. If you are worried about not meeting a sweeping cut-off, try emailing a professor and get them interested in your work, so if you are swept aside because of a GRE score, the professor will go get your application and read it anyway.

I emailed a professor but didnot get any reply from him. I doubt whether he had atleast opened my email :(

I emailed a professor but didnot get any reply from him. I doubt whether he had atleast opened my email :(

Don't be too concerned about that. There are a lot of circumstances for delayed responses, such as the professor just being busy or the professor could be on sabbatical or gone for a week at a conference. I'd email 2 or 3 just to hedge your bets.

Would it help if I directly discuss with them about my low GRE score...?

I would discuss GRE, generally, but don't mention your GRE score. You can always take it again. You want to apply for Fall 2011, right?

Sorry, I see you have already applied. I wouldn't mention your GRE score, talk about your many other strenghts

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

I would discuss GRE, generally, but don't mention your GRE score. You can always take it again. You want to apply for Fall 2011, right?

Sorry, I see you have already applied. I wouldn't mention your GRE score, talk about your many other strenghts

I applied for fall 2010....I will try emailing the professors.

Thank you so much for your suggestion my dear friend.

I don't mean to be rude or negative, but how do you publish a book but score so poorly on the verbal part? Yes, I am aware that this is a technical field which does not require advanced vocabulary, but that seems surprising to me.

I don't mean to be rude or negative, but how do you publish a book but score so poorly on the verbal part? Yes, I am aware that this is a technical field which does not require advanced vocabulary, but that seems surprising to me.

I took my GRE exam 4 yrs ago. I did not prepare well when I took my GRE since I was busy with my acads at that time.

I wrote a book 2 months back which is purely technical and is nothing related to english literature or mathematics. :)

I realized abt PhD deadlines in early Dec and was busy writing SOP, asking for reccomendation letters etc. So did not find time for retaking the test before the deadline. I am retaking GRE next month (Feb)

How does being able to choose an antonym (or whatever) in a timed situation have anything to do with ability to write?

How does being able to choose an antonym (or whatever) in a timed situation have anything to do with ability to write?

It doesn't. The GRE isn't a very good means of measuring. I'd say if you have a good writing sample and a good GPA, it is clear you can write.

• 1 month later...

Sigh. Yes people, we get that the GRE isn't all that wonderful and there are problems with it blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean Admissions Committees don't take them seriously just because you don't. For example, the average quantitative score for admitted engineering students at Stanford is close to 790. I'll take an educated guess and say that if you deviate too far from a 790, say under 770 or so, you are significantly cutting your chances of getting into that school. I hear a lot of people make excuses about how they "only had a week or so" to study or "was busy doing other things" or just simply don't test well. Well, if you are serious about getting into competitive programs with high average GRE scores, then it is completely senseless to ignore the proper preparation for taking the GRE considering how much time you spend compiling the rest of your application. If you don't have time to study for the GRE and achieve competitive scores, then you don't have time to apply to grad school.

Good point seadub, I agree. I am applying for Stat MS at Stanford, 760Q, 410V, 3.41gpa. Would I be in line for their waitlist?

GRE- 1140 (Q-750, V-390)

Author of a Book

I think you stand a good chance.Firstly I say this because you have a publication and that is a good thing.I do not have a publication and that worries me.It's a key booster to your application.Secondly,your GRE won't hurt much cos frankly your quant score is definitely good.I don't think verbal would be very important for your course.Having said that I would say that I am sure you could get into other universities,just not sure about Yale & MIT, cos you know how competitive these schools are.There's no harm in applying though cos I already said you would stand a good chance.So there you go!

Good luck!

So you have a little lower Q score on the GRE, you have an advanced degree, good GPAs and publications. The publications are really the big deals, you have established yourself and given yourself some solid credentials. So as long as your GRE score is in the reviewable range they will give your application a good look and this is where everything else you have done puts you over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

So you have a little lower Q score on the GRE, you have an advanced degree, good GPAs and publications. The publications are really the big deals, you have established yourself and given yourself some solid credentials. So as long as your GRE score is in the reviewable range they will give your application a good look and this is where everything else you have done puts you over the top.

:)

Edited by shravzhere

I was rejected by both yale and MIT electrical engineering grad schools

But a proffesor from yale biomed found my profile interesting and offered me PhD admission since my previous research is related to what he is dng now :)

So I safely landed in Yale biomed

Though I am basically from electrical engineering background...since my research is related to biomedical, I got admission in biomedical...

Somehow, I am able to get admitted into Yale with less GRE scores because of my previous research experience and publicationsB)