Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering 2010

Deleted

Is today supposed to be the day that NU IEMS makes their first round decisions about international applicants?

Anyone heard anything from them?

Hmmm...not sure. Call Adam. Super helpful, and doesn't get mad that you are asking him stuff(that's his sole role @ IEMS) and you don't have to give your name. Might be worth it.

Hmmm...not sure. Call Adam. Super helpful, and doesn't get mad that you are asking him stuff(that's his sole role @ IEMS) and you don't have to give your name. Might be worth it.

Well, emailed him last Friday. He said, "don't worry. We'll let you know when the decisions are made." I felt I was going to be turned town by tone like this. LOL

Hi guys, smile.gif

I'm new to this forum,

I have applied for IE Programs for masters degree in OSU, Purdue, VT, UW Madison.

However, My UG GPA is 3.51, but My GRE quantitative has become 670 unsure.gif , I'm concern that this part may have a negative influence in my application !

do you think that I still has any chance for admission ?

how much they weigh for the GRE ?

Does anyone know when they start to announce he results?

Thank you. rolleyes.gif

were u interviewed b4 they made offer?

Nope....they asked me a few questions about my app over email 2 days before the offer was made, but seemed like they had already made their decision.

Visit weekend for US students is after they have made their decisions, as far as I understand it.

Hi guys, smile.gif

I'm new to this forum,

I have applied for IE Programs for masters degree in OSU, Purdue, VT, UW Madison.

However, My UG GPA is 3.51, but My GRE quantitative has become 670 unsure.gif , I'm concern that this part may have a negative influence in my application !

do you think that I still has any chance for admission ?

how much they weigh for the GRE ?

Does anyone know when they start to announce he results?

Thank you. rolleyes.gif

Results times are random, I know Purdue just recently started looking at applications. Your GRE is low, no doubt about that, and it will detriment your application, if you can retake it if you don't get in, do it. Since you also do not have a stellar GPA( not bad, but people are looking toward 4.0) you should have pretty good research experience or have gone to an amazing school to get any sort of funding. The good news is that programs are low on money, and masters programs sometimes pay into the Ph.D. programs. So while GRE isn't the most important part of your application( its behind letters of rec, GPA(in important subjects), and research/grad classes experience from what I heard) you must have good other attributes to balance it out.

Results times are random, I know Purdue just recently started looking at applications. Your GRE is low, no doubt about that, and it will detriment your application, if you can retake it if you don't get in, do it. Since you also do not have a stellar GPA( not bad, but people are looking toward 4.0) you should have pretty good research experience or have gone to an amazing school to get any sort of funding. The good news is that programs are low on money, and masters programs sometimes pay into the Ph.D. programs. So while GRE isn't the most important part of your application( its behind letters of rec, GPA(in important subjects), and research/grad classes experience from what I heard) you must have good other attributes to balance it out.

Thank you;

I have some research and well-related work experience and my undergraduate university was a reputable one in the field of industrial engineering in my country, however, I am still concern about the GRE and its retaking in this period is almost impossible. So, as you said, I hope other attributes of my application work out as a compensate for the GRE.

By the way, does anyone know how many seats are available for Masters or PhD, and the ratio of admitted applicants to all applicants for the above mentioned universities?

Thank you;

I have some research and well-related work experience and my undergraduate university was a reputable one in the field of industrial engineering in my country, however, I am still concern about the GRE and its retaking in this period is almost impossible. So, as you said, I hope other attributes of my application work out as a compensate for the GRE.

By the way, does anyone know how many seats are available for Masters or PhD, and the ratio of admitted applicants to all applicants for the above mentioned universities?

Not sure about masters(it kind of depends on if the school funds those people they accept or not), but for PhD, at least the programs I applied to, it seems to be around 5-10% acceptance rate.

Hey~ I got an email from the Graduate Student Advisor from IOE at U of Michigan, saying about the "recruitment weekend", and that the formal invitation will be going out in a few days or weeks.

But the email didn't mention anything about "admissions"... Anyone got this email, or heard from UMichigan recently?

Anyone else (American, I'm guessing) get a "reminder" from UMich to save their date for invitation weekend? Kind of an amusing "save this date, but oh btw we haven't invited you yet".

me too! UMich, what a tease

Edited by floyd

Oh~ just saw your post after I posted mine~ but I'm an international applicant:)

Huh, wonder if they invite international students too? Or just sent it to everyone!

I really laughed at this email though...like "thanks guys, thanks".

I don't know how this works, but my friend who's a phd student currently got one of those last year before he was invited/admitted.

Huh, wonder if they invite international students too? Or just sent it to everyone!

I really laughed at this email though...like "thanks guys, thanks".

I don't know how this works, but my friend who's a phd student currently got one of those last year before he was invited/admitted.

Guess at least we are shortlisted~

Huh~ Maybe I could get a visa with the formal invitation :-)

I don't know if we are shortlisted or not. Has anyone here applied to UMich and not gotten this letter?

I get the feeling like I am going up the first big hill of a roller coaster, this email was like the clicking sound reminding your still going up before it all comes crashing down. :(

Edited by floyd

To those who hasn't heard from NU, including myself, be ready for either good or bad news. They interviewed some international applicants and also told some shortlisted. So, if you didn't hear from them again, like myself, you are either their top candidates or at the end of their shortlist. But I guess I am in the second situation. Good Luck to others.

To those who hasn't heard from NU, including myself, be ready for either good or bad news. They interviewed some international applicants and also told some shortlisted. So, if you didn't hear from them again, like myself, you are either their top candidates or at the end of their shortlist. But I guess I am in the second situation. Good Luck to others.

How did you know this? From Adam? Are you sure they don't interview top candidates ?

I don't know if we are shortlisted or not. Has anyone here applied to UMich and not gotten this letter?

I get the feeling like I am going up the first big hill of a roller coaster, this email was like the clicking sound reminding your still going up before it all comes crashing down. :(

I got the email as well and I am an international living 6 thousand miles away. I think it is just spam so I would not read to much into this, be it only so that nothing but a good surprise can come of this. Otherwise, as you said, you are facing a rollercoaster of emotions.

How did you know this? From Adam? Are you sure they don't interview top candidates ?

Lol, sounds like you were interviewed and became worried all of a suuden with this comment smile.gif

(by the way, I was interviewed. 6 of us were, I know that because they uploaded a spreadsheet for us to sign up so I could see all the names. Still no news...)

Edited by ORmalv