Applied Math Summer programs for Entering Grad Students

Mathk1d

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses recommending you take some much deserved and probably needed time off, but I can certainly understand the desire to be productive. I wish I knew where I'll even be during the summer. Depending on where I get into (Statistics, btw) and what position my girlfriend gets, I could me moving to an as-of-yet-unknown destination at the beginning, middle, or end of summer. But if I stay here I know I want to take or audit some courses to get ready. My university offers a number of graduate courses during the summer in both math and statistics, and I imagine the one I'll be attending in the fall does too. It sounds like yours doesn't, but since you're Applied, maybe there's a field of application you'd like to investigate, in which case an undergraduate course might be in order. And of course there's always work--saving up for the move, apartment, big city life, etc.

I'd ask your professors. If your school doesn't offer anything you'd like to take, maybe you can do research or an independent study, or work for the department.

My Plans are Simple:

1) Prep for the Analysis comp so I can get that out of the way pronto

2) Figure out a way to convince my current employer to give me a consulting gig

3) TBD :)

But why not enjoy this last bit of undergrad freedom?

Edited by hubris

I already have a job that I do remotely, so I plan on moving to the school's area early in the summer and then continuing to work as I get to know the city I'll be living for the next 5 years.

I find it exceedingly frustrating that I can't make any more in depth plans than that though, as I could be moving to any one of 10 cities across the country.

If you want advice about summer programs, for the past two summers I've worked at national labs (Brookhaven and Argonne, still working for Argonne), they love interns, and if you can program you are very desirable. Their main program is SULI, which is for undergraduates, but they also had a lot of grads when I was there.

Edited by origin415

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses recommending you take some much deserved and probably needed time off, but I can certainly understand the desire to be productive. I wish I knew where I'll even be during the summer. Depending on where I get into (Statistics, btw) and what position my girlfriend gets, I could me moving to an as-of-yet-unknown destination at the beginning, middle, or end of summer. But if I stay here I know I want to take or audit some courses to get ready. My university offers a number of graduate courses during the summer in both math and statistics, and I imagine the one I'll be attending in the fall does too. It sounds like yours doesn't, but since you're Applied, maybe there's a field of application you'd like to investigate, in which case an undergraduate course might be in order. And of course there's always work--saving up for the move, apartment, big city life, etc.

I'd ask your professors. If your school doesn't offer anything you'd like to take, maybe you can do research or an independent study, or work for the department.

i also applied to some stat phd programs. although majority of programs i appleid to are comp sci. where did you apply?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I have been thinking on this for quite some time now. Because I'm an international student here in the US, and my work permit recently ran out, I will not be able to apply to any of the national labs (they are wayy cool and some have programs for recent grads, about-to-be-grads, as well as typical undergrad internships - e.g Oak Ridge National Lab.

But if I get accepted, I plan to spend my summer:

1). Going through the (golden) Calculus book and figuring everything out - I need to be back on my game

2). Do some independent research (on my own) - going to be something on this African board game (also played in China too). I will try to do some programming and match my research to something similar to what a prof might be doing in whatever school accepts me...it will be programming intensive and I need to figure out the AI thingy (the game would need to be adaptive to strategies). Hopefully I can present this at a conference, come Oct/Nov...idk

3). Get as much sleep and exercise as I can. May not have the chance to do that in a while :)