thank you notes after interviews?

Ivy

I searched the forums but I didn't find much on this topic... I just had my first Ph.D. interview yesterday and was wondering if it's traditional to send a thank you note to your interviwers? I know that it would be proper after a job interview, but I haven't seen too many people mention it in the context of graduate school.

My interview was only about 20 minutes and conducted by a panel of at least 4 people, only two of which I even got their full names, which complicates the situation: if I were to send a note, would I send one to all the panelists, or just to the chair, or to the chair and ask her to forward it on? Email? Card via USPS?

Or am I overthinking this and a thank you note is really over the top an inappropriate in this situation? Has anyone here sent thank-yous after interviews?

(Side note: I did send thank you cards to all the faculty I spoke with who helped me out when I was first considering applying at their respective schools and wanted to hear more about their programs.)

Thanks!

I searched the forums but I didn't find much on this topic... I just had my first Ph.D. interview yesterday and was wondering if it's traditional to send a thank you note to your interviwers? I know that it would be proper after a job interview, but I haven't seen too many people mention it in the context of graduate school.

My interview was only about 20 minutes and conducted by a panel of at least 4 people, only two of which I even got their full names, which complicates the situation: if I were to send a note, would I send one to all the panelists, or just to the chair, or to the chair and ask her to forward it on? Email? Card via USPS?

Or am I overthinking this and a thank you note is really over the top an inappropriate in this situation? Has anyone here sent thank-yous after interviews?

(Side note: I did send thank you cards to all the faculty I spoke with who helped me out when I was first considering applying at their respective schools and wanted to hear more about their programs.)

Thanks!

You know, I did not have formal interviews........none of my programs interview before a decision is reached. however, I have met informally with some professors at a couple of schools and i sent over an email thanking them for their time. i think it is just good courtesy, even though there is no expectation. that's just my opinion....

You know, I did not have formal interviews........none of my programs interview before a decision is reached. however, I have met informally with some professors at a couple of schools and i sent over an email thanking them for their time. i think it is just good courtesy, even though there is no expectation. that's just my opinion....

i agree with katalytik

i think it almost never hurts to be persistent. but if you're going to write something, keep it short

I would say to do a handwritten card. To ensure it gets to them on time, bring it with you to the interview and write it immediately following it and drop it in the nearest mailbox. I think the extra personal touch is really worth the effort.

It's always a good idea to say thank you after an interview. An email should be enough, no need for a handwritten card. If you don't know all the interviewers' names, send the email to those you could find and ask them to forward to the other ones.

I would say to do a handwritten card. To ensure it gets to them on time, bring it with you to the interview and write it immediately following it and drop it in the nearest mailbox. I think the extra personal touch is really worth the effort.

This is my philosophy. I've yet to hear of anyone being annoyed at being appreciated; being hounded by insincere sucking-up? Sure, but not gratitude. The task is to stay on this side of sucking up.

If you don't recall all the names call the dept secretary. I've always been honest -- this is from jobs, not schools mind you -- with admins about wanting to say thank you but not knowing how to spell names. I've never gotten negative feedback from them. Also, perhaps a cursory look at the faculty page would jog your memory?

I like to keep it brief and specific: a nice thank you, mention one specific detail and a line to reiterate my enthusiasm about the program. That's it. Can't hurt in my book.

Edited by coyabean

If you don't recall all the names call the dept secretary.

Ooh, I like this idea! The secretary was very nice and helpful when she first called to let me know about the interview, I'm sure she would know and help. I did try looking at the faculty directory, but while I found what I think might be one of the people (only about 65% sure it's her, though), I never found the second one. The interview was via Skype and some of their connections were muddy and hard to hear, and the introductions were very rushed.

I think if I can get their names, I'll send short cards, and if I can't, I'll send a nice email to the chair and ask her to forward it to the other panelists.

Thanks everyone for your input!