Muslim Ban and Philosophy Under Trump

MVSCZAR

Has anyone here been affected/ expect to be affected by the Muslim ban? I expect this will complicate quite a few visits this year and I'm wondering if there are plans to accommodate those affected. 

Additionally, are there any foreigners who are considering NOT attending a US university because of the Trump presidency and Trump policies? 

1 hour ago, MVSCZAR said:

Additionally, are there any foreigners who are considering NOT attending a US university because of the Trump presidency and Trump policies? 

There are a few places on here where this discussion is happening, though none specific to philosophy. Maybe this will help?

Thanks for starting the thread. I have been wondering the same thing. 

One thing I've seen mentioned on twitter is that some academics are considering boycotting US conferences. (On this point, I've only seen it mentioned—I do not have specifics.) To me, this move makes sense. But I find it so depressing. 

I've also been wondering if applications to other-than-US programs went up this year. 

Perhaps the scariest/strangest thing will be if (when?) so many philosophers continue to go about their work as if it were business as usual. I hope not. In any case, I'm having a very hard time focusing on the work I've been trying to develop. It feels hollow at the moment. So instead, since the election, I've started to read as much philosophy of race and feminist philosophy as possible. I know its not much, but I'm not sure what else I can do (academically) at the moment.

Edited by SamStone

I'm from the previous season, but I'm Iranian-Canadian and LGBT. The visa ban has me functionally trapped in the US for now - while dual nationals are ostensibly fine, the situation is too unstable for me to risk leaving the country. If conditions for me continue to deteriorate, though (there are rumours of a massive anti-LGBT executive order in the works, for example), I think it's genuinely possible I'll be forced to drop out for my own safety and go back to Toronto.

Dailynous made a post recently, for those who may be interested, seeking information about funded programs in Europe that're still open to applications. There are several in the comments. They mentioned that some Canadian departments have pledged to support students who're affected too. @gughok this may be of interest to you, if you're hoping to transfer. 

Edited by 753982