Trying to figure out my chances... =(

Kinkster

I am basically applying to actual professors who specialize in my small concentration under primarily social psych programs. I have applied to nine schools. Two of them already had interview weekends... so that leaves me with seven schools. Out of the seven, one is a reach school and I don't think I have a shot at that particular school. In addition, I probably wrote a so-so SOP for one of the schools as my SOP dramatically improved over the app process. Realistically, that leaves me with five schools: Kansas State, Florida Atlantic, New Mexico State University, TCU, and Northern Illinois.

I have a 3.55 Cumulative GPA, 3.78 Psych GPA, 3.89 Upper-division

I took a grad course in Physiological Psych

Took two years off to find myself and save up for grad school.

Was accepted into the Undergrad Psych Honors program and wrote an honors thesis in my field of study

Worked in a well-known research lab for my field under a renowned professor in my field (although the professor is too busy and I guess too famous to write LORs for any Undergrad)

Got a damaging "C" in my stats and research design course but that was in my second year during personal duress, however, i did not focus on my negatives in SOP which could hurt me. However, got an "A" in my experimental psych and honors research courses.

Average GRE scores (54 and 55th percentile for V and Q)

I am confident that I have strong LORs

I have established a positive contact with each potential advisor of interest and all of them are a great potential fit

My SOPs to the five schools are strong

Can anyone help evaluate my chances? I am getting more and more discouraged as the waiting wears on...

Edited by Kinkster

OP, what would you do if people on this board told you either a. you have great chances or b. you have crappy chances? Just curious as to how much you'll take people's opinions into account and what happens after that. Do you have time to up your chances, or are you looking for back-up plans/other options if things don't work out?

The reason no one has answered your question is because we honestly have no idea. There's a myriad of factors that go into the decision process, with many out of our control. For instance, I applied last year with stats higher than yours and did not get in, however, I know someone with stats lower than yours that did get in. Sorry, but there really is no way to tell. Just hang in there and know you are in good company.