Cringe-worthy moments?

rheya19

Here's a little game to help pass the time while we wait for our acceptance or poorly-made decision letters (not "rejection...") Did you have any cringe-worthy moments while applying to your schools? Call a professor the wrong name? Mention information that hurt your chances? Forget to change the name of the university on your statement?

I have one: I emailed two professors at a certain school about my research interests in December. One got back to me and was friendly; the other did not. But from their faculty pages, they both looked like good fits. I wrote my statement for the program, outlining how both professors would be of great help to my research. I had read their stuff and made references to it. I actually felt really good about this application. I turned it in, and the next day I found out that... the silent professor had died. Over a year and a half ago. >_<

I emailed the other professor right away, apologizing and explaining, but he was really cool about it luckily. He said that they had been meaning to take down this other guy's faculty page, and that it wouldn't impact my chances of getting in. I still feel like an a**hole, though.

Oh jeez, that's insane. I'm surprised they hadn't taken the page down after so long. 

My cringe-worthy thing isn't nearly as bad. I accidentally wrote that I was applying for the PhD program in Archaeology at BU in my personal statement--when they aren't even offering a PhD this year and I meant the MA. They didn't care apparently being that they just accepted me. Otherwise I hope so far I haven't found anything too cringeworthy about my apps (yet)...

Haha, so I would say that for the most part my application to Yale was pretty strong... except...

I noticed almost minutes after sending it that in my final SOP paragraph I had "I am convinced these is no better school..." Not the worst thing in the world, but I certainly felt pretty dumb, especially with how many times I was told to read, and re-read, re-write, re-read, and re-read my SOP a few times over.