MPH Canada Applicant Fall 2017-KIND OF LOW GPA

Mallory

Hi everybody! 

I've applied to the University of Toronto Social and Behavioural Studies MPH and the Western MPH but the bad news:

last year's GPA: ~3.1 but this year I'm confident that it will be ~3.7 

I have no research experience but I got to work in a government position that focused on pesticides and public health and I've been volunteering extensively in the health promotion field for the past few months.  I understand that my GPA is definitely lower than most of the applicants and I was just wondering if anybody had any insight on how competitive I would be compared to most other applicants.  I'm 100% prepared to get rejected and do a 5th year double majoring in biomed and legal studies but I'm just wondering how I can make my application more competitive after the 5th year.

Thanks so much in advance! 

Edited by Mallory

UT requires mid-B, which is where you are at right now but there are just too many applicants each year. Since you only have few months of public health related work experience (many have years), it might be difficult for you to get accepted. Western MPH program is relatively new and less competitive so you should be able to get accepted with your current status. Memorial MPH program's application deadline is March 1st so if you would like to have that as a backup, apply.

If you don't get into any of them, I would urge you to graduate and build research or practical public health experience instead of double majoring. 5th year is not necessary unless you really need to complete your degree. I would also advise you to apply to more schools next year.

Same, I've graduated with a 3.3 cGPA but got a 3.8 in my last year. I have 2 years of volunteering/work experience in the non-profit public health sector and am hoping that it will help me get accepted. 

But yeah, U of T is super competitive. I doubt I have much of a chance so have a bunch of safeties and am already planning which programs to apply to next year haha. :P 

Try to remember not to take it personally, there are just SO many applicants. 

2 hours ago, pdf58 said:

Same, I've graduated with a 3.3 cGPA but got a 3.8 in my last year. I have 2 years of volunteering/work experience in the non-profit public health sector and am hoping that it will help me get accepted. 

But yeah, U of T is super competitive. I doubt I have much of a chance so have a bunch of safeties and am already planning which programs to apply to next year haha. :P 

Try to remember not to take it personally, there are just SO many applicants. 

Yeah I've already mentally prepared myself for a rejection but I think I'm looking forward to feedback from the admissions committee so I can strengthen my application or next year.

Good luck to you though :) 

On 2/5/2017 at 6:38 PM, COGSCI said:

UT requires mid-B, which is where you are at right now but there are just too many applicants each year. Since you only have few months of public health related work experience (many have years), it might be difficult for you to get accepted. Western MPH program is relatively new and less competitive so you should be able to get accepted with your current status. Memorial MPH program's application deadline is March 1st so if you would like to have that as a backup, apply.

If you don't get into any of them, I would urge you to graduate and build research or practical public health experience instead of double majoring. 5th year is not necessary unless you really need to complete your degree. I would also advise you to apply to more schools next year.

Thanks so much for your advice!  I was hoping to double major so that I could pull up my cGPA and final year GPA a lot more and be more competitive in the academic sense.  Do you think that graduating and gaining research or public health experience would help me more instead?  

Mallory, you have a great attitude! I'm sure you'll do well and get into a good school, since clearly you are a hard worker and open to feedback. I hope that even with a rejection, the admissions committee has useful advice to offer me for next year, too. 

And thank you so much. Fingers crossed for us both! :)