Interview Questions

I realize it can be quite unfair to list interview questions from a specific school. Although, I like the idea of the conversations we all have in helping each other out. Some college career centers offer mock interviews. If you're unable to go to one, you may want to prep in other ways. I think it would be super helpful to post possible interview questions as well as an mock interview questions you may have had, WITHOUT stating the name of the school. This may give us a way to ease our nerves and prepare for this interview time :] 

Some questions I have come across: 

1) Why do you want to be an SLP?

2) If you could have any super power what would it be? 

3) What do you specifically like about our program? 

Last year, I did an interview where they pulled questions out of a cup. I remember 2-ish of them.

1. What would you do if you had a client (who is a kid) and their mom is onboard with therapy plans but their father isn't?

2. Tell us about a time you dealt with diversity and how it went. (it was something like that, you know, dealing with different types/groups of people)

Questions I've seen ppl have been asked for SLP grad school:

1. Tell us about a time when you had to modify your own communication to make yourself understood. 
  2. Tell us about your multicultural experiences
  3. How do you make a decision on what is best for a client if they do not wish to receive therapy that is supported by current research 

I'd actually be interested in what type of material might be asked for written assignments during the interviews. Anyone have any ideas? I hear certain thing referring to anatomy

6 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

I'd actually be interested in what type of material might be asked for written assignments during the interviews. Anyone have any ideas? I hear certain thing referring to anatomy

Written assignments during the interviews? What? I didn't think any schools actually did anything relating back to actual coursework.

5 minutes ago, maurmaur said:

Written assignments during the interviews? What? I didn't think any schools actually did anything relating back to actual coursework.

Yep. A handful of colleges do this. I applied to Touro today and they said on their website that "a personal interview and a writing sample may be requested" Edit: I'm located in NY so it may be something the schools in the more competitive areas do to further whittle down their selection

Edited by SpeechLaedy

4 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Yep. A handful of colleges do this. I applied to Touro today and they said on their website that "a personal interview and a writing sample may be requested" Edit: I'm located in NY so it may be something the schools in the more competitive areas do to further whittle down their selection

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Any tips on how to figure out if your school does this? I don't want to freak out for nothing.

2 minutes ago, maurmaur said:

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Any tips on how to figure out if your school does this? I don't want to freak out for nothing.

If you're concerned and you don't see it mentioned on the website, I'm sure you could email or call the graduate admissions dept :) 

9 minutes ago, maurmaur said:

4 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

If you're concerned and you don't see it mentioned on the website, I'm sure you could email or call the graduate admissions dept :) 

If there is a writing component, they normally do the opposite of what they asked in face to face.. if they asked you about yourself face to face, the writing component will definitely be more clinical (i.e see comments above about handling clients) if they ask clinical face to face they will ask you to tell them about yourself, or why you want to go to the university or why it's a good fit for you. 

6 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

If there is a writing component, they normally do the opposite of what they asked in face to face.. if they asked you about yourself face to face, the writing component will definitely be more clinical (i.e see comments above about handling clients) if they ask clinical face to face they will ask you to tell them about yourself, or why you want to go to the university or why it's a good fit for you. 

That makes sense. But how do you know this? Have you done writing assignments during interviews before?

40 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

I could handle being asked about all of these questions such as handling clients and then about myself.

It's the part in which they ask about actual speech coursework that makes me nervous (anatomy, physiology, etc.)

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

That makes sense. But how do you know this? Have you done writing assignments during interviews before?

My friends have done them :] I also work with a lot of speech paths. 

15 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Questions I've seen ppl have been asked for SLP grad school:

1. Tell us about a time when you had to modify your own communication to make yourself understood. 
  2. Tell us about your multicultural experiences
  3. How do you make a decision on what is best for a client if they do not wish to receive therapy that is supported by current research 

I had a Writing Assignment in my interview however it was the option of picking between 2 case studies and answering some questions.

One was about a Geriatric client suffering from a Neurogenic disorder and the other involved a Pediatric client going through Aural Rehabilitation :) 

4 hours ago, Akon said:

I had a Writing Assignment in my interview however it was the option of picking between 2 case studies and answering some questions.

One was about a Geriatric client suffering from a Neurogenic disorder and the other involved a Pediatric client going through Aural Rehabilitation :) 

Oh wow! So it's safe to say we should brush up on the material we've learned ?

@maurmaur I feel the same EXACT way as you

Edited by SpeechLaedy

17 hours ago, kayyyyy_ said:

My friends have done them :] I also work with a lot of speech paths. 

Oh nice! That's great that they were able to give you some tips about the process . I actually work with about a dozen and never thought to ask them about that ??