German

vertige

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2010 at 4:37 PM, bnibs said:

Heya, it's still pretty early but has anyone heard from German Studies/Germanic Languages and Literatures?

I got in WashU (combined degree with Comp Lit), Cornell, and Stanford!

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, I applied to a couple comp lit programs but also to Columbia German (with the comp lit minor option) - no word yet from ANYone and I'm definitely going a little crazy - definitely doesn't help that I'm on vacation right now and have wayyyy too much free time to browse through the Grad Cafe forums and furiously refreh my inbox every second of the day :) Anyone else go for Columbia - any word? I'm also applying for a DAAD scholarship plus bunch of schools in Germany which are basically my backup plan if none of my north american applications work out - but I might not hear back from German schools for MONTHS because their system is so different. sooo frustrating, I'm so ready to know NOW! Did any other German studies people apply to German schools or DAAD?

hi all, I applied to a couple comp lit programs but also to Columbia German (with the comp lit minor option) - no word yet from ANYone and I'm definitely going a little crazy - definitely doesn't help that I'm on vacation right now and have wayyyy too much free time to browse through the Grad Cafe forums and furiously refreh my inbox every second of the day :) Anyone else go for Columbia - any word? I'm also applying for a DAAD scholarship plus bunch of schools in Germany which are basically my backup plan if none of my north american applications work out - but I might not hear back from German schools for MONTHS because their system is so different. sooo frustrating, I'm so ready to know NOW! Did any other German studies people apply to German schools or DAAD?

I didn't apply to columbia (a couple of schools nearby germ/complit), but I did apply for DAAD; do you know when we hear about it?

I didn't apply to columbia (a couple of schools nearby germ/complit), but I did apply for DAAD; do you know when we hear about it?

@bummer: All I know is what I heard in the first email from DAAD that told me they had received my application, which I'm guessing you got as well: that word would be sent by late March "or sooner, if possible" So I guess that means a few more weeks of continual email checking/racing to the meet the mailman every day - urgh! I'm actually not even sure how they notify (email or post?) You don't know by any chance?

@bummer: All I know is what I heard in the first email from DAAD that told me they had received my application, which I'm guessing you got as well: that word would be sent by late March "or sooner, if possible" So I guess that means a few more weeks of continual email checking/racing to the meet the mailman every day - urgh! I'm actually not even sure how they notify (email or post?) You don't know by any chance?

email; but from what I understand they are notoriously late. My fear is that the decision may come after Apr15th...

email; but from what I understand they are notoriously late. My fear is that the decision may come after Apr15th...

@bummer - I guess they aren't running all that late with the news this year - not the rejections anyway! I just got an email from DAAD about 40 minutes ago telling me my application was a no-go :( super bummed.

But maybe at this point no news means good news in your case - best of luck!

I got it! I got it!!!! It looks I will officially be heading to Germany this fall with a DAAD scholarship

I just recieved an email from the nice people at DAAD saying that I have won a Study Scholarship award. The official letter will be mailed from Bonn in April, it says.

Oh, man this is soooo exciting. I wish everybody else success as well!

Has anybody else heard from DAAD yet?

I got it! I got it!!!! It looks I will officially be heading to Germany this fall with a DAAD scholarship

I just recieved an email from the nice people at DAAD saying that I have won a Study Scholarship award. The official letter will be mailed from Bonn in April, it says.

Oh, man this is soooo exciting. I wish everybody else success as well!

Has anybody else heard from DAAD yet?

Just got the news as well! Congrats! Where will you be in Germany?

DAAD is an amazing organization. Also, for any of you who don't mind coming down just a little in the world from Columbia and Princeton and Harvard German ... the University of Maryland has a small but amazingly good program in German. Right now there are only undergraduate students, PhD students, and one MA student (me). Funding seems to be unlimited and the student/faculty ratio is about 4 to 1. Head of Department (Dr. Peter Beicken) earned his Ph.D. at Stanford ... and is a heck of a nice guy to boot.

Just as a general note with regard to the Study Scholarship: if your intention is to extend the DAAD award for an additional year after the first year, check with them immediately and confirm that you have that option even if, as much of their literature says, it's a difficult process.

I had a DAAD Study Scholarship that I was using to fund an independent research project combined with a Master's Degree following my graduation from my undergraduate institution. The Master's program I hoped to attend was not officially beginning until a year after my arrival, but I had worked out an arrangement with the unviersity that I could begin taking courses immediately upon arrival that would then count towards the degree once it was instituted. So, the Study Scholarship Award was going to cover two years of coursework and the completion of my project...at least that's what I planned and had hoped for. Although this was explained in my DAAD application and discussed in person with their representatives at the meeting in Bonn when the scholarship period began, come the halfway point of my award, I was informed that I had in fact not been given the Study Scholarship I applied for, but rather a "Deutschlands Jahr" Award.

After scouring the website (this mysterious award was not mentioned once on any of the DAAD websites at the time), triple-checking my application forms, and engaging in a rather heated discussion with the heads of the DAAD in both New York and Germany, it was official: I was not even allowed to apply for an extension of the scholarship. Their reason was that my proposal had focused too heavily on the independent research project side of things and not on the Master's program that I intended to complete. As such, even though I applied for a "Study Scholarship" (the only award available to someone in my position), I had actually been granted some other terminal award that receives no mention in any of their publications.

I made out fine without it, but it really left a bad taste in my mouth and I have other friends who have run into difficulties with the DAAD as well. So, there is no parade-raining going on, at least that's not what I intend - congratulations, you should be proud and excited! I know you will love Germany, I have been here for going on four years in total now and I do. Just check up and make sure everything you want and expect from the DAAD is spelled out somewhere.

Just check up and make sure everything you want and expect from the DAAD is spelled out somewhere.

I will certainly do that. Thanks for the tip! The masters program I want to do doesn't start until 2011, but I also have already worked out with the Fakultät that I will be enrolled in the Diplomstudiengang for one year and start taking classes and researching. I will still be able to earn the Masters in one year after that.

Just got the news as well! Congrats! Where will you be in Germany?

I will be in Freiburg im Breisgau. I studied abroad there as an undergrad, and ever since I stepped foot there, I knew I wanted to come back. How about you?