Science, Math, Engineering and Romance

Mathk1d

So I'm just curious...

Most science-oriented people that want to get their Ph.D. are passionate about learning more about their fields (let's hope). My question is, for your IDEAL mate, would you want them to be in the same field as you so that you can discuss work/ work together?

For example, could you honestly date an accountant?

The field my ideal mate studied wouldn't matter, what would matter is that they were passionate about something academic, even if it were *gasp* a humanity or social science. While mathematics is my personal focus, I just love intellectual conversation in general.

Edited by origin415

• 1 month later...

The field my ideal mate studied wouldn't matter, what would matter is that they were passionate about something academic, even if it were *gasp* a humanity or social science. While mathematics is my personal focus, I just love intellectual conversation in general.

Definitely agree. I love math and OR to death, but I want my ideal mate to be into something totally unrelated to what I'm doing/into. My gf now is into art/medicine, and I love that about her. There's just something about you sharing stuff to someone you love...knowing that they don't fully get all the details, but they get your passion for it, and will listen to you ALL day long.

Agreed. I just want my girlfriend to have common sense and the ability to hold an interesting conversation. My ex-girlfriend studied fine art, which I know nothing about, but she was very interesting to have conversations with. She would have interesting conversation topics, and loved to experience new things. No MTV fan chick, is basically what Im asking for.

My gf studies law, something I am not interested in. At all. And, unfortunately, something she loves to talk about. So, when we end up talking about her studies and job etc., my input is really limited to the occasional "ah", "mhm", "oh!" etc. For me, this is the time to come up with brilliant ideas about what to cook for dinner or that we need toilet paper. She knows I don't care, but loves to imagine I do.

In the words of the previous poster, she has yet to yet fully accept the passion is not in me.

sD.

Edited by someDay

Same here. However, I've only dated people in science/engineering, but that's probably just because those are the sorts of people I tend to meet.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I wouldn't want to date a mathematician. There are all kinds of complications to dating in your own discipline (professional gossip if you break up; two-body problem; even just being in direct competition with your S.O.) I've seen happily married pairs of math professors, but it probably doesn't work for everyone.

Now, smart is always good, and I'd like him to respect mathematics.

I agree with basically everything said here (it really doesn't matter whether your S.O. works/studies/etc. in your same field of interest or not, what does matter is what kind of chemistry you have). My experience is that with my ex-gf (she is a mathematician) we did had a lot of fun. Neither are on the same field per se, she is more into topology and I am more into applied math in geophysics, so we didn't exactly share the exact point of view/interests, but it was great and we did share a lot of things that we wouldn't be able if she wasn't into math. But yeah, now that it is over (recently) it has been a little weird with common classmates, friends (but when isn't?). I wouldn't change a thing about it even if I could though.