good or bad idea: emailing POI about an update on your decision process??

clinpsyhopeful

Hi everyone!

I'm in the decision making pickle (gratefully) as I have been accepted to two clinical programs. I received my first offer almost a month ago from school A and I have the open house for school B coming up in the next couple of weeks. 

I am wondering what your thoughts are on sending an update email to my potential supervisor from school A about my decision status? I want to let them know that I will have a decision for them soon (well, pretty much right after this open house), but I'm afraid it will come across as if they aren't a top choice for me. I am pretty positive that school A is the one I will choose, but I really just want to seek out all the information I can before making that decision. If you think this is a good idea, how can I word it? I'm having so much trouble coming up with something decent. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :)

i applied to uoft psych, and i followed up with my poi a day ago, still havent heard from them but hopefully soon. Regardless i think its a fine idea to reply, kindly and ask for a response :) btw congratulations on your acceptances and I hope you're able to attend the program that is best for you! 

Rule of thumb is if it's because you've gotten acceptances to other schools or you have job offers and you need to make a decision, you should, but if it's just because you're being impatient and you're still waiting on other programs, you shouldn't.

8 minutes ago, B_Allen said:

i applied to uoft psych, and i followed up with my poi a day ago, still havent heard from them but hopefully soon. Regardless i think its a fine idea to reply, kindly and ask for a response :) btw congratulations on your acceptances and I hope you're able to attend the program that is best for you! 

Thanks B_Allen! Same to you:) 

I have actually been in a lot of contact with the supervisor from school A, so I'm not really asking for a response, but more so I'm curious about whether I should email them an update on where I'm at with my decision so that they have a timeline of when they can expect to hear from me. 

4 minutes ago, poopyhead said:

Rule of thumb is if it's because you've gotten acceptances to other schools or you have job offers and you need to make a decision, you should, but if it's just because you're being impatient and you're still waiting on other programs, you shouldn't.

Thanks! I'm just hoping to clarify what you mean by "you should". Do you mean that I should email the supervisor from school A to give them an update on my decision status? I wouldn't say I'm being impatient and waiting on other programs - I'm fairly positive that these two will be it. It's just that I'm trying to decide between both schools (which has been quite the challenge!), but I won't be able to visit school B and get more info on the program until this open house and I don't want the supervisor from school A to be left in the dark!

I hope that clears up my question :) 

3 hours ago, clinpsyhopeful said:

Thanks! I'm just hoping to clarify what you mean by "you should". Do you mean that I should email the supervisor from school A to give them an update on my decision status? I wouldn't say I'm being impatient and waiting on other programs - I'm fairly positive that these two will be it. It's just that I'm trying to decide between both schools (which has been quite the challenge!), but I won't be able to visit school B and get more info on the program until this open house and I don't want the supervisor from school A to be left in the dark!

I hope that clears up my question :) 

I would think so, since it provides them with more information, and if there are deadlines you have to meet for another program then they'll be more inclined to work with your schedule. If this isn't the case (e.g., you haven't heard back from anywhere), then maybe you should just wait it out a bit longer.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I read that you already have received offers (been accepted) at both schools. If I were you, I would not send anything to school A. I think it's unnecessary; it's not like they're going to rescind your offer. Every school understands that theirs is not the only one you applied to. It just makes prudent sense to consider all options. I'd say maybe if it were closer to April 15th (decision date) but I don't think it's necessary now. 

Congrats for the two acceptances!