Venting Thread

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I should be cut off, honestly. Old Mel? Is that like Old Greg? "Easy now, fuzzy little man peach!"

My [spontaneously arrived at] rule of thumb: if someone older than you calls you "old," it's a compliment; if someone younger than you calls you old, it's the Battle of Marston Moor.

Just now, Wyatt's Terps said:

My [spontaneously arrived at] rule of thumb: if someone older than you calls you "old," it's a compliment; if someone younger than you calls you old, it's the Battle of Marston Moor.

I'd love to be Old anything. Like if I had some kind of lore around me in my neighborhood, where children gathered around campfires, or smartphones probably, and told mildly terrifying stories about Old Mel's house.

"We can't trick or treat there, that's Old Mel's house!"

Another life goal.

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

So for ... and giggles, I just looked up "Old Mel" on Google to see if there was any good thread fodder...and I wasn't disappointed.

Those Aussies, man.

Oh, it's much worse than that. These are Floridians, Donny. That's Melbourne, FL they're talking about.

Edited by orphic_mel528

3 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Edit: I bet these youngin's don't even know their Meatloaf.

True story: when I was in grade 9 (so '93 / '94) I had a habit of writing down lyrics in class of favorite songs. One day some jerk of a classmate stole my transcription of "Bat Out of Hell" and gave it to some girl, telling her that I wrote her a poem.

They never found his body.

Just kidding.

(Just kidding because they DID find his body...or what was left of it when I was through with him...)

Okay, just kidding for reals this time.

32 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Okay, just kidding for reals this time.

I used to think I could write poetry (7th-10th grade circa 1999 - 2002). I think that same jerk kid was in my class, cause some dude stole some of my poems and told one of my female classmates that they were for her. 

She handled it well, but I was embarrassed to the core. Kids can be mean, man.

...especially when they're making problems disappear... or so I've heard.

1 hour ago, positivitize said:

Watching the results page like:

Image result for I gotta know right now

Edit: I bet these youngin's don't even know their Meatloaf.

This is bizarre. My IG is cinnamonsquirrel822. Just go...go and look at the most recent post...

16 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

NO, I WON'T

DO

THAT.

...and here I thought Sense8 was just a fun TV show, not real life. TAKE ALL MY UPVOTES YOU GLORIOUS PERSON!

Edit: I actually don't have any more upvotes. 5 is too few when Mel's on the forum.

Edited by positivitize

2 minutes ago, positivitize said:

...and here I thought Sense8 was just a fun TV show, not real life. TAKE ALL MY UPVOTES YOU GLORIOUS PERSON!

Somewhere, Meatloaf is feeling validated and he doesn't even know why.

Edited by orphic_mel528
This is the English section of GC, I forgot a comma, and I feel afraid.

47 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

This is bizarre. My IG is cinnamonsquirrel822. Just go...go and look at the most recent post...

Okay, so proof that I am a very old man: I don't have Instagram, but I'll just assume that you posted the same pic or (since we're English majors) "trope" as the optimistic one above.

But I DO have to ask...is cinnamonsquirrel a punny Neil Young reference?

10 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Okay, so proof that I am a very old man: I don't have Instagram, but I'll just assume that you posted the same pic or (since we're English majors) "trope" as the optimistic one above.

But I DO have to ask...is cinnamonsquirrel a punny Neil Young reference?

1. I posted a conversation I had about Meatloaf today that occurred probably within 20-30 minutes of @positivitize post about Meatloaf.

2. It absolutely is; excellent catch. A hoarder of acorns, I run in the night...

1 minute ago, orphic_mel528 said:

1. I posted a conversation I had about Meatloaf today that occurred probably within 20-30 minutes of @positivitize post about Meatloaf.

2. It absolutely is; excellent catch. A hoarder of acorns, I run in the night...

1. AHEM. His preferred nomenclature is Meat Loaf, thank you very much. (Oh Marvin, we never knew ye...)

2. Ten silver oak trees, I jump to and fro...

Just now, Wyatt's Terps said:

1. AHEM. His preferred nomenclature is Meat Loaf, thank you very much. (Oh Marvin, we never knew ye...)

2. Ten silver oak trees, I jump to and fro...

1. Not to be confused with the prominent Meat Loaf cover band, Salisbury Steak.

2. A peanut relaxes and hides far below from

the cinnamon squirrel.

1 minute ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I was starting to worry that the three of us have taken over this thread with our silliness, but then realized that the others have a place to vent about it...

Silliness? We're elevating the level of the discourse!

34 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Silliness? We're elevating the level of the discourse!

31 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Dude. I'm expecting the ghost of Graham Chapman to create an account just so he can say his catchphrase.

I conducted myself very much this same way in my MA program's mixed delivery (some online, some in-person) Bibliographical Methods class.

My professor was a man with the saddest eyes I've ever seen, and occasionally he would say things to me, such as, "I would complain about the gif of Keanu Reeves you posted with your response last week, but it was relevant, so I'm very conflicted about it," or, "It's not that I don't agree that Dieter Borchmeyer is a great name for a Doberman..."

19 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I conducted myself very much this same way in my MA program's mixed delivery (some online, some in-person) Bibliographical Methods class.

My professor was a man with the saddest eyes I've ever seen, and occasionally he would say things to me, such as, "I would complain about the gif of Keanu Reeves you posted with your response last week, but it was relevant, so I'm very conflicted about it," or, "It's not that I don't agree that Dieter Borchmeyer is a great name for a Doberman..."

Every Rory has a Lorelei within.

21 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Was this the gif?  Image result for whoa neo

14 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Was this the gif?  Image result for whoa neo

Actually it was, and I think it was posted in the context of questioning Kenneth Branagh's casting choice in Much Ado About Nothing. Also, I don't know whether to give you sensate points for that because that's basically every Keanu gif.

2 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

Actually it was, and I think it was posted in the context of questioning Kenneth Branagh's casting choice in Much Ado About Nothing. Also, I don't know whether to give you sensate points for that because that's basically every Keanu gif.

It was either that or a discussion of Barthes/Derrida

Image result for keanu reeves whoa gif  poxzYo3.jpg