Venting Thread

My best friend from undergrad just got into an amazing PhD program. It wasn't one of the same ones I applied to, but I am still so jealous that she got an acceptance. I know there's still time for me--and I'm incredibly proud of her--but right now it really stings.

6 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

My best friend from undergrad just got into an amazing PhD program. It wasn't one of the same ones I applied to, but I am still so jealous that she got an acceptance. I know there's still time for me--and I'm incredibly proud of her--but right now it really stings.

I can relate to that. I get competitive and envious rather rapidly usually, and I'm glad that my irl friend who's also doing applications is neither applying to the same schools or the same program. Well she is applying to UCLA, too, but since she's from a completely different department it's fine (Art History). 

The thing to keep in mind is that our applications and vibes are all very different, and that there is no true competition unless we have a perfect academia twin who's done exactly the same stuff we did, with exactly the same results and who writes with exactly the same style and logic. 

I know you know all of this already and that you're probably more envious of her actually going to a PhD program. But honestly, if you don't get in anywhere, it's probably because you haven't found your perfect match yet. So be glad you're not getting into a school that's recruited you despite your not fitting there perfectly. And, oh my, you're gonna be SO good when you find that school. Probably better than your friend will this year, tbh. Kidding! (Or am I?)

21 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

I hear this--one of my best friends texted me last night that she got into her top choice (for an acting MFA, not English) school and I was over the moon excited for her, but also felt a twinge of jealousy, and then felt super guilty for feeling jealous. It's a vicious, vicious cycle

I've been a lurker, but I feel you all in this thread and am sending you good vibes. <3

I'm pretty sure I got rejected from UVA. I was hoping for it, not only because it's a great program, but because my partner and I wanted to stay in Virginia. Now I'm torn--I've gotten into a school, but it would mean moving out of state, which complicates a lot of things. We both knew this would be a possibility, but it was easier to hold out hope I'd get into UVA I guess.

I feel you all so hard on this, wow. It's like, I know that things will eventually work out, but it's hard! About a year ago one of my profs told me that no one from my (state) school had ever gotten in to a good PhD program so I might as well not bother applying, and I'm beginning to feel like she was right, that I've been stupid to think that I could break the pattern, etc etc etc. 

Plus, I think I might be able to imply a Michigan rejection at this point, and I don't want to break it to a friend (of sorts) of mine who goes there. I selfishly wanted to go where he is, and I feel doubly dumb now. Oi. 

1 hour ago, la_mod said:

About a year ago one of my profs told me that no one from my (state) school had ever gotten in to a good PhD program so I might as well not bother applying, and I'm beginning to feel like she was right, that I've been stupid to think that I could break the pattern, etc etc etc. 

I am also extremely worried about this.. Both my BA and MA are from small(ish) private universities, and while it could be an issue of fit or less than stellar GRE scores, I'm starting to worry that this lack of prestigious pedigree is going to invariably keep me out of any and all notable programs this season and in the future.

14 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I am also extremely worried about this.. Both my BA and MA are from small(ish) private universities, and while it could be an issue of fit or less than stellar GRE scores, I'm starting to worry that this lack of prestigious pedigree is going to invariably keep me out of any and all notable programs this season and in the future.

I thought this would be the case for me, too. My advisors were also worried. Both of my degrees are from the same third-tier public uni, and I have average GRE scores, etc. etc. They were all shocked when I told them I was accepted with full funding + some at Madison, Davis, and SB. Last year, a friend from my cohort had a nearly clean sweep of 10 or so programs and ended up at a top-10. So needless to say, I think pedigree matters less than fit, and your WS, SOP and recs will show that better than anything else. 

And yes, I recognize my top three schools aren't Ivies (I didn't even try), but I feel like three top-30 schools is a good record coming from my uni, where most who go on for their PhD go to the third-tier uni 1.5 hours away.

I guess I'm just trying to encourage you all not to worry. It may carry some weight, but I think it matters less than you think!

13 minutes ago, imogenshakes said:

I thought this would be the case for me, too. My advisors were also worried. Both of my degrees are from the same third-tier public uni, and I have average GRE scores, etc. etc. They were all shocked when I told them I was accepted with full funding + some at Madison, Davis, and SB. Last year, a friend from my cohort had a nearly clean sweep of 10 or so programs and ended up at a top-10. So needless to say, I think pedigree matters less than fit, and your WS, SOP and recs will show that better than anything else. 

And yes, I recognize my top three schools aren't Ivies (I didn't even try), but I feel like three top-30 schools is a good record coming from my uni, where most who go on for their PhD go to the third-tier uni 1.5 hours away.

I guess I'm just trying to encourage you all not to worry. It may carry some weight, but I think it matters less than you think!

Thank you! This has lifted my spirits a bit! Although I'm beginning to think of my applications at top-tier or ivy league programs as throw-aways at this point. I fear I may have shot too high - luckily, I still have a few "low(er) hanging fruit" schools left to hear from, so, fingers crossed!! 

Your season looks like it's been incredible - congratulations on all of your amazing acceptances!! 

28 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Thank you! This has lifted my spirits a bit! Although I'm beginning to think of my applications at top-tier or ivy league programs as throw-aways at this point. I fear I may have shot too high - luckily, I still have a few "low(er) hanging fruit" schools left to hear from, so, fingers crossed!! 

Your season looks like it's been incredible - congratulations on all of your amazing acceptances!! 

I'm glad my experience can help set your mind at ease! Don't give up. And thanks so much! I must say, I'm so grateful that I didn't take their hesitance to heart and still aimed high. I at least wanted to know for sure, and I'm really glad that it paid off. I think it's important to know that you gave it your best shot, regardless of the outcome. Best of luck with the rest of your season! Hang in there ?

7 hours ago, imogenshakes said:

I'm glad my experience can help set your mind at ease! Don't give up. And thanks so much! I must say, I'm so grateful that I didn't take their hesitance to heart and still aimed high. I at least wanted to know for sure, and I'm really glad that it paid off. I think it's important to know that you gave it your best shot, regardless of the outcome. Best of luck with the rest of your season! Hang in there ?

You've been accepted to almost all the UC's, that's pretty funny :lol: 

Congrats! 

Venting: I've been dreaming of Villanova for the last two nights, now. And waking up with anxiety--opening the door to feel less oppressed and starting to breathe fast a little before going back to sleep. I really need all of this to be over.

Edited by Yanaka

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

You've been accepted to almost all the UC's, that's pretty funny :lol: 

Congrats! 

Venting: I've been dreaming of Villanova for the last two nights, now. And waking up with anxiety--opening the door to feel less oppressed and starting to breathe fast a little before going back to sleep. I really need all of this to be over.

Haha thanks! It's really crazy to me and kind of doesn't feel real. I'm kicking myself that I didn't try for UCLA too, but oh well - hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Hang in there!  

37 minutes ago, positivitize said:

Me, on Sundays during grad application season.

Image result for no post on sundays

But there ARE when you check out the results board and the fora!!!

Well, it seems like this'll be a big week for notifications. Sincerely wishing everyone here the best of luck — at finding an acceptance in your inbox, I hope, but if not, at finding some peace and a sense of vocation/fulfillment that transcends this PhD application cycle.

do y'all have back up plans in place for if you don't get into any programs?? i've applied to five phd programs and one masters and so far i haven't gotten any acceptances and honestly i don't know what comes next if it isn't graduate school.....

3 minutes ago, acidtooth said:

do y'all have back up plans in place for if you don't get into any programs?? i've applied to five phd programs and one masters and so far i haven't gotten any acceptances and honestly i don't know what comes next if it isn't graduate school.....

I thought about it! I was thinking I'd get an alternative teaching certification and teach high school. But I'd definitely apply again for next year!

9 minutes ago, Silabus said:

I thought about it! I was thinking I'd get an alternative teaching certification and teach high school. But I'd definitely apply again for next year!

You don't get to say what you would have done if!!! :lol:

@acidtooth Yeah. I thought I had different options, but now I don't know anymore! I am thinking about teaching French as foreign language in Chile, doing internships in editing or journalism and then working while I get ready to re-apply again... We'll see...

25 minutes ago, acidtooth said:

I'm hoping to get into the one MA I applied to at the very least, but if not I'm thinking substitute teaching and applying again (and expanding into less prestigious schools and Law programs...)

omfg i just got off the phone with the graduate coordinator at U Michigan and apparently each different type of English PhD program sends out their results at different times?? I applied for the joint PhD in English and Gender Studies and she told me she'll hopefully get results out by the end of this week and that Michigan doesn't leave students hanging and sends out rejection letters in addition to acceptance/waitlist. not sure if this comforts anyone but it did provide me with some much needed relief. 

probably gonna x-post this on the acceptance thread, too.

2 hours ago, acidtooth said:

I've been thinking on it.  Probably going to  focus on trying to get a paper to a point where it's publishable and figure out how to function as an independent scholar w/o university affiliation. I luckily still get access to JSTOR, MUSE, and some other online databases with my undergrad log in, but I'm not quite sure how else to get my hands on materials w/o shelling out lots of money. Will probably stay at my current job for the time being, work on some creative projects, keep working with cats...but I don't know if I'll apply again.

2 hours ago, acidtooth said:

omfg i just got off the phone with the graduate coordinator at U Michigan and apparently each different type of English PhD program sends out their results at different times?? I applied for the joint PhD in English and Gender Studies and she told me she'll hopefully get results out by the end of this week and that Michigan doesn't leave students hanging and sends out rejection letters in addition to acceptance/waitlist. not sure if this comforts anyone but it did provide me with some much needed relief. 

probably gonna x-post this on the acceptance thread, too.

Thanks for the heads up! I also applied to the joint English & Gender Studies and am hoping for the best!!! It's my top choice that I haven't heard back from and a great fit! Good luck!