Venting Thread

That results page is killing me.  Where is my answer?! Yes, no, maybe, give me something here!

Oooooh and that Florida State person! Jeeze! I didn't apply to the Rhet/Comp sector but still I want to know!

And Indiana University, call me off the waitlist already! xD You know you want me, and I want you, so let's just make it happen already!

All of these conversations about theorists are nice to read over though! Foucault is my man!

16 hours ago, phoebusrising said:

Not gonna lie I read this and immediately started laughing. I'm sorry you're cold.

I'm glad my suffering brought some alleviation of the February anxiety. ;)

16 hours ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Sounds a lot like New Jersey transit buses.  They're never on time, unless you're running late.

Good thing I didn't get into Princeton then!

HAHAHA... he :mellow:

Does anyone have any insight into why it takes so long to notify rejections after acceptances are notified in most programs? I honestly just don't understand how that process works and am curious. I'm sure there's a legitimate reason, but it's certainly frustrating.

Also frustrating: I will probably not hear from either of the medieval programs I applied to for another week and a half at least. 

Oof, not a good sign when the last school to not hit you with an implied rejection is an ivy. Guess I'll go for my MA (and hopefully I'll get into that one MA program)? I hate this "implied rejection" thing. Feeling pretty crummy in general about this whole process.... ugh

Columbia's AdCom is meeting/has met today and so I am at the edge of my seat. Even though I know we may not hear til next week b/c they might have to go through Admissions first.

But I'm feeling kind of selfish because I am already very happy with the choices I have. It would just be a dream to get in to Columbia!!!

6 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

Columbia's AdCom is meeting/has met today and so I am at the edge of my seat. Even though I know we may not hear til next week b/c they might have to go through Admissions first.

But I'm feeling kind of selfish because I am already very happy with the choices I have. It would just be a dream to get in to Columbia!!!

Feeling this for sure. I've written off UMich (sadly--that had always been my dream school), and I'm not at all confident about Columbia, but I can pretend for a little longer :P

11 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

Same! I keep reminding myself how I felt last year when I struck out, and that I should be delighted with the two offers I have, but when I read the research of my Columbia POI it was like an epiphany, and now she's my hero.

But the trend thus far is that I'm getting into Irish studies unis, so even though theoretically Columbia would be perfect I'm inclined to think they'll look at the texts I mentioned in my SoP and go 'we don't have anyone for that'.

you're postcolonial right shoestofollow?

Edit: cross posted with @zombiekeats, you're a romanticist?

Edited by Caien

Yes @Caien I do postcolonial, particularly Africa and the Middle East

I don't know if this helps or hurts BUT I looked back at my emails with the DGS and she said they would "know the outcome by 3pm"

It's 3:17 pm over here so they only just got out of their meeting probably!

Here's a vent: this is the second day this week that I've dedicated to working on a paper revision for my Capstone project, and I've never been less motivated...even though it's due on Tuesday. I keep trying to convince myself of the urgency of the matter, but it's not working like it usually does. I know it will get done, because I always get everything done on time etc....but I want to be on the other side of this thing already. UGH.

23 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

I don't know if this helps or hurts BUT I looked back at my emails with the DGS and she said they would "know the outcome by 3pm"

Wow, well its almost 9pm here so a good time to go out and get sloshed...

Did the DGS volunteer that incredibly specific information?

35 minutes ago, Caien said:

Edit: cross posted with @zombiekeats, you're a romanticist?

Yup! Roughly--Nineteenth century Americanist, but developed from an interest in Romanticism.

I totally feel you on POIs, though. The person I want to work with at Columbia has my exact specific interest and now I'm dying to work with her. But, still, I'm happy with the schools I got into (happy to get in at all, tbh).

43 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have heard nothing

1 hour ago, shoestofollow said:

Aaaaaand here go the acceptances on the board... Tryna stay calm....

Staring at my email inbox muttering 'pick me, pick me' through gritted teeth doesn't seem to be working.

Ahhh, I wish I knew about Columbia; it's my last chance to get into a funded/ PhD program! (I may have looked up one of my POIs to see when class was so I could justify them not having called: "on leave Spring 2017"-- oi) 

4 minutes ago, Caien said:

Staring at my email inbox muttering 'pick me, pick me' through gritted teeth doesn't seem to be working.

I'm having the same problem :P

Idk, the way my season has gone I'm not counting on it. Ivy leagues have kinda stayed in the longshot range for me sadly. But, I'm excited to see how my visits unfold this coming month!

So does the person who just posted this on the Results page...

I may have posted those Columbia acceptances to troll la_mod, Caien, shoestofollow, and zombiekeats. ... forgive me, acceptance Gods!

...think he or she is being funny? Because that's not funny in the least.

Goes to show that it doesn't take much for the seeming legitimacy of the Results board to be compromised.