Hanover, NH

pinku2002

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Just got accepted to Dartmouth (computer science) and will be attending in the fall. Just thought I would bump this thread and see if anyone has any recommendations of good places for grad students to live in Hanover. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got accepted to Dartmouth (computer science) and will be attending in the fall. Just thought I would bump this thread and see if anyone has any recommendations of good places for grad students to live in Hanover. Any ideas?

I was with my sweetheart while he did his MA at Dartmouth (2006-2008). I recommend the grad student housing (off campus just down the road- Sachem village) for families and students with S.O. and pet owners. On campus housing is decent for the single grad student. If you have a car (that drives great and has snow/winter tires) I recommend crossing the bridge and seeing what's for rent in vermont (like 5 minutes away). Unfortunately I think the only walkable option to your academic building is the on-campus housing.

oh, and BEWARE to the newbie new england people- you will be charged for your first shipment of oil heat at sachem village....that's something like $700 upfront....but double check, this might be old news.

and here's the local news paper listings

http://www.vnews.com/

I hope I helped! :)

• 4 months later...

blon19 can u kindly share the info that u have gathered on housing at Dartmouth ?

• 1 year later...

Can anyone speak to housing opportunities in the Hanover, NH area? What might be best for a grad student, have convenience stores and coffee shops close by, and not to far from campus? Also, differences in living in VT vs NH? Its my understanding that VT taxes are much higher, but it seems a fair amount of students still live there... Thoughts on this? Any input at this point will be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I grew up in the Hanover area, and I am currently living here while I finish a fellowship at Dartmouth. One of my colleagues helped put together a lot of these pieces for new fellows, so I thought I’d pass it along (it does not include any information about graduate student housing):

Housing is pretty reasonable, although there’s a bit of a range. Some of the newer apartment complexes can approach $1000 for a one-bedroom and $1600 for a two-bedroom. Average housing costs are around $800 after adding on heat, electricity, and cable, though it's certainly possible to find something lower... keep in mind heating costs can be very high here.

There are a number of different towns near Dartmouth to live in the area here are the most common:
- Hanover, NH

- Etna, NH ( a small area, technically part of Hanover, but slightly different) – more likely to find a house here or a room in someone’s home.

- Lebanon, NH

- Norwich, VT

- White River Junction/Hartford, VT

Most of these locations are within 10-15 minutes of the campus, though depending where you are in each town it can vary. Hanover and Norwich (some parts) are the only places you can live that are truly “walkable” to campus. There is a free bus you can take from Lebanon as well (http://www.advancetransit.com/). If you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes or so, you can also look at Canaan, Enfield or Grantham areas. Norwich, Hanover, and Etna are the most expensive areas, while White River Junction, Lebanon, and the areas farther out will be less expensive.

For finding a place: Dartmouth owns several properties (that tend to be a bit more expensive) and also maintains a list of local properties rented by others (that tend to be cheaper). See http://www.dartmouthre.com/upper-valley-rentals/. Craigslist is also an option, though it is not widely used. Most local realtors also have rental properties. There’s also a student-run housing list at http://dartlist.com. Town list-servs are widely used, and can be used to find housing: http://lists.valley.net/lists/info/uppervalley.  Dartmouth is on the quarter system, and so the housing availability usually changes with that calendar.

With regard to coffee shops, groceries, etc., most of the big box stores (and regular grocery stores) are in West Lebanon. However, Hanover does have the Co-op, which is a very nice upscale grocery store (http://www.coopfoodstore.com/hanover-store). Hanover itself has a great local coffee shop, The Dirt Cowboy, and a number of restaurants. Lebanon and White River Junction also have a couple of restaurants each.

Realistically, you will very likely want a car (and snow tires) while living in this area as a graduate student.

Hope this is helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Great, I was wondering how to find a good apartment and just bumped into this page. I sent dartmouth's real estate office an email asking good sources to find an apartment before, but nothing heard back yet. They aren't that much helpful...

datapoint, you provided a bunch of useful information! I appreciate it!

By the way, does anybody know where is the facebook page for (possibly computer science) grad students at Dartmouth College? I saw one guy saying ...

To the Dartmouth poster below- Yes there is a Fb group created by the current grad students at Dartmouth around 2 weeks back.. Check your mail, you must have got an invitation.

but I couldn't find one. I really want to connect with students who got accepted there.