Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@teethwax - Please don't be discouraged, it really sounds like you're a very talented writer and you have a lot to offer any program. I have applied three years in a row with varying degrees of success and finally, this Fall, I will be attending somewhere. Undecided as yet.

I was also accepted to Northwestern and I am having the same financial concerns as you. I contacted an alumna of the program, and she said it was great but it was a lot of money and I also got the sense she regretted having these huge loans looming over her. She described the program as "cushy," which I guess can be both a bad and good thing. The professors at Northwestern seem pretty fantastic, and I'm a huge Rebecca Gilman fan, so that is extra awesome.

My situation is a bit different because I enjoy screenwriting as much as I love playwriting, so I'm also thinking about accepting an MFA in Screenwriting offer at UCLA.  

But to everyone out there who gets discouraged sometimes, it literally took me three years to finally start getting offers, so keep going. I think it's good practice for the real world of writing. 

Waitlisted at Columbia! Though Columbia is a wonderful program, I'm pretty sure waitlist = no funding, and without them releasing the waitlist rank, I'm not sure if it's worth the wait.

I think I'm gonna commit at USC! It's a wonderful program with incredible professors, and a pretty great funding package. So yay! I'm pretty thrilled about this choice.

Just got the email -- waitlisted at Brooklyn. I know I'd rather go to CMU so I'm feeling zen about it.

But two of my three letters of rec apparently never reached Ohio, even though I know they were sent months ago. This is really annoying because one of my recommenders is in the UK, so it's costly and time-consuming for him to mail another and they won't accept it electronically. I get in late tomorrow night to meet with Erik and Charles. Fingers crossed it goes okay even with this misstep.

Thanks for this info, remains!

From my research from friends who have gone to NYU (and seeing the comments from folks who have gotten accepted) NYU's DW funding isn't always the best. But that doesn't mean they don't offer scholarships, internships and the like. It all depends on your need and the money that is available. 

Thanks! 

Just got the email -- waitlisted at Brooklyn. I know I'd rather go to CMU so I'm feeling zen about it.

But two of my three letters of rec apparently never reached Ohio, even though I know they were sent months ago. This is really annoying because one of my recommenders is in the UK, so it's costly and time-consuming for him to mail another and they won't accept it electronically. I get in late tomorrow night to meet with Erik and Charles. Fingers crossed it goes okay even with this misstep.

Break a leg with Ohio! Were you also given the Monday deadline to get back to CMU about acceptance? 

Congratulations, longwalk and onemanarmy! I got waitlisted at Columbia, but I was expecting a rejection, so it's kind of nice, actually.

I haven't had time to sit down and write back until now, but failsafe, thanks for your awesome comment.  (I think I'm better than some of the people I know in great programs too, haha.)  I'm definitely going to keep that David Lindsay-Abaire story close to my heart, and that note about the top section of the admissions queue is also a big help.  

And thank you as well, janesays -- I have no idea how talented I am, but I hope I do have a lot to offer.  I did have a great time talking to the professors at Northwestern, and Sarah Ruhl told me she thought Thomas Bradshaw was wonderful.  I'm going to speak with him sometime next week and see if there's anything else I can be doing for financial aid -- if so, I'll let you know! Do you have any more info on what that alumna meant by "cushy"? 

Thanks for your comment too, puttputt -- that stuff about your friend is good to hear, and you make a good point about the MFA just being two years.  I do need to sack up and keep going, and I do want to make a life writing, however that happens.

I'm not usually someone who posts unhappy flaily comments on message boards, and I feel kind of embarrassed now, especially since I know I'm lucky to have been accepted anywhere.  My play isn't autobiographical, but it draws heavily from some ugly and traumatic experiences, and I struggled a lot to get it down.  It was shocking and great to get such a warm initial reaction from so many places, and then rejection/waitlisting felt very personal, I guess.  

well, it sounds from tjack's comment like brooklyn college notifications have gone out...so holding out a still small hope for tisch (i actually got offered a spot at tisch asia last year, even though i didn't apply, which was weird but nice i guess)  congrats on everyone getting accepted this year!  i think i might have one more application season in me...it definitely increases the difficulty level to only apply to three programs.

in better news, i think i finally cracked my new play wide open (or at least open enough to find a way into it)...so it's looking like i'll soon have a family comedy set in the present, a naturalistic tragedy set in the past, and a dystopian drama set in the future...i'd like to think that writing something different each time makes me a look like a versatile writer to admissions committees but maybe it just makes me look schizophrenic!

and just as a sidenote...i've still never gotten a rejection from yale!  i was thinking i'd get a "special rejection" maybe like last year but now i am starting to think they just forgot...

There's so much love and support here I think that is such a great great thing. Let me add to the pile and say CONGRATS to acceptances and waitlistings! Waitlistings aren't acceptances I know, but they're definitely not rejections and the sentiment is nice. Sometimes people do get in off the waitlist so you never know, but I'd caution against waiting too long if there are already good offers with funding on the table. 

Rejection finally from UT Austin! And I am completely at peace with the decision since I'm already committed to Villanova. I did wind up getting a tentative acceptance with funding from Illinois State, but in having to turn down their offer I did get a very nice email from the head of the program to stay in touch and talk research ideas which I think is completely awesome ^^. Contacts are everything so never underestimate the power of knowing someone or keeping the lines of communication open! Because grad school is only half the job if you can't find a job yourself once the program is over. 

teethwax: some of the greatest plays in theatre literature delves into the darkest parts of the human experience. So I say kudos to you for being brave enough to venture into that territory. Many writers don't explore the ugly parts of life because of how difficult it is to write or how taxing it can be on the writer. But I am of the firm belief that we'll never learn or grow if we don't confront obstacles and challenges in life head on. Plus theatre needs to be shaken up once in a while too. I say the warm reactions are signs that you're on the right track. Sometimes the world isn't as logically sound when it comes to new plays and actually getting them properly recognized / produced / etc. But the only way you can beat the nonsensical odds is to keep putting yourself out there because someone WILL eventually say yes. No matter what you do it will always feel personal, but it gets better over time and with experience too :) There ain't no question about your talent! Never doubt that for a second. 

failsafe: that's odd you haven't gotten a rejection from yale yet-not that I would know since I didn't apply, but I'd give them a call to see what's up. Does Yale waitlist people? Awesome project ideas! I say bring on the variety. I think what these people look for in plays is something different and new, you know? Something memorable and distinct so I say go for it and have fun doing it too! 

thanks, reds.  i actually just got my yale rejection via e-mail--didn't seem to be anything too special about it, although it did say they were impressed with my writing, which is nice.  as for my project ideas, thankfully the first two are already written!  glad i'm finally cooking with gas with the new one, though.  i've been in a really fallow period since finishing my last play in december so it's a huge relief to have a lot of new ideas again. =)

And thank you as well, janesays -- I have no idea how talented I am, but I hope I do have a lot to offer. I did have a great time talking to the professors at Northwestern, and Sarah Ruhl told me she thought Thomas Bradshaw was wonderful. I'm going to speak with him sometime next week and see if there's anything else I can be doing for financial aid -- if so, I'll let you know! Do you have any more info on what that alumna meant by "cushy"?

Teethwax - fwiw Tom Bradshaw is a friend and I think he'd be a wonderful teacher. Don't know Zayd as well, but I like his work. I'm sure it would be a good experience and Chicago is a great place to be.

thanks, reds.  i actually just got my yale rejection via e-mail--didn't seem to be anything too special about it, although it did say they were impressed with my writing, which is nice.  as for my project ideas, thankfully the first two are already written!  glad i'm finally cooking with gas with the new one, though.  i've been in a really fallow period since finishing my last play in december so it's a huge relief to have a lot of new ideas again. =)

That sounds like a nice message they sent you then! I'm all for brownie points so kudos to you! And also congrats on your writing projects! I've got...oh lord, probably five or so started and in some form of progress already. Some have first scenes. Some have close to first acts. Some are all over the place with scenes in sequential order but just needing things filled in between the others. Sometimes working on more than one project at a time can be a real mess. But it's in the mess that I find I work best though. Double-edged sword I suppose. Keep nursing those ideas! I try to write every day, even though some days I wind up only writing a single word or maybe a sentence, but then I have the good days where I write ten to fifteen pages and those make the struggle and frustration all worthwhile ^^. 

Just updating ya'll. Got my Indiana Rejection letter in the mail. It was a very nice letter and actually it took me by surprise. General and not personalized of course, but still nice compared to the no letter from Texas-ouch! How is everybody else faring? 

remains: afraid my knowledge of scholarships isn't that great. I know a couple of years ago I found a register of general scholarships you could apply for towards any school...and I think I found that through The New School's website but I'm not entirely certain its there anymore. I'll double-check. 

puttputt, it was great! The current students were all incredibly welcoming and informative, and I had a great time. They've made me an offer -- the only school I haven't heard from still is Indiana, but from what Reds says it sounds like a rejection is on its way. I should know if I'm off the waitlist and into Iowa next week, so hoping to make a final decision then. So close to being done with this g-d waiting game! I hope everyone else is hanging in there. 

@tjack nice. i'm glad you had a good weekend and congrats on the offer. I got an offer late last week as well. If you want to compare notes, let me know. :) i'm probably going to be in Athens, Ohio the next three years.

that's awesome, longwalktonever!  are you going to take it or go to USC?  (btw i still have to read your play--i will get to it this weekend!)  it sounded like they release all letters on the same day, sooo...i guess it's today.  good luck, everyone!

Just found out I got wait listed at Tisch. Very happy at this good news but have no idea what the odds are of getting off the list! Longwalktonever, the verdict is in: you are a playwright to watch! By the way, I hear USC is a wonderful program  ;)