Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Singsalot,

I feel like that first round is so so random...it kills me. It's the same with things like the O'Neill or LARK. You just have no idea who will respond to your stuff. I honestly said to my boyfriend that I should have wiped by butt with a hundred dollar bill and flushed it after I sent my Yale app. I didn't think I has a chance in hell. Go figure.

ZISSOU!  YAY!  Congrats!  A user by the name of Teethwax had an interview with Yale on here and posted extensively about it.  You might be able to search for his or her comments and see what s/he had to say about the process! 

You are right when you say that living in NYC, there are 2 programs that open the most doors.  Yale and Juilliard.  Even with one of those programs to your name, though, it is also a lot about making your own work once you are out in the so-called read world...  I don't know.  It is all so, so random, as you've said, and there is little causality between who gets opportunity X and whether or not it will even lead to situation "Y."  Therefore, I think the only thing any of us can do is work our asses off -- and then RUN with the opportunities we are given or which we achieve for ourselves...

So, Zissou -- GO FOR IT!  And keep us posted!

Edited by PrincessIsInAnotherCastle

@Zissou -- I hear you. Well, luckily they responded to your work!

I am still waiting to hear back from four schools. Not sure why but feeling totally disenchanted, even though the schools I am waiting to hear from are wonderful. I thought my application this year was so strong ... anyone else sort of feeling just down in the dumps?

Princess-

You rule!! Thank you so much for the tips. AND-you are SOOOOOO right. All of this is what you make of it. I've often felt like I don't have the right pedigree for all of this, and I'm proven wrong all the time. Good work only rises to the top if you keep at it. So hard. So so hard. 

Singsalot-

Don't be discouraged. This process is so rough. Keep your head up and keep working. You gotta remind yourself that these schools can open doors and can provide opportunity, but you can achieve those same things on your own. I promise you. I have a one act up right now in Brooklyn and Lucy Thurber wrote one of the other pieces. As I was trying not to fan-girl out on her, I told her I had applied to some programs, and she snorted and asked me why in the fuck I'd do that. Easy to say from a Obie winner was my response, but she really just worked her ass off and put her own work up. I'm sure your application is amazing for this year...don't lose hope, man.

Congrats, Zissou!

This is my first rodeo and my second post, actually. It's great to see people getting interviews.

And Singsalot, I feel you. I'm waiting on three schools, got rejected from Brown and the other schools I'm "waiting" on have already sent out interview requests.

On that same note, those that have been here longer, are interviews staggered? Do the schools send out notifications all at the same time or do they do rounds?

SeaLou: I've been wondering the same thing about the staggering of interviews. I mean, if I were running a program I would contact everyone at once for everything: interview requests, rejections, but it's still hard for me to accept rejection when I haven't actually heard a thing from the school yet. What are the other schools your waiting on that contacted for interviews?

So, it looks like Columbia and Yale are out for me if they contacted people for interviews already. Only waiting on Juilliard, Iowa, and NYU. So disappointing. I felt like my applications were far and away much stronger than the ones I sent last year. I've been working on my materials since May. I guess I should start working on next year's batch right now hahahahahahahaha. I'm actually crying!

Edited by Barista

Barista

I agree. I mean, that makes sense to me, but all of my applications still say they're being reviewed. Yale and Ohio were the two that sent out intervirws. I'm also waiting on Iowa.

And yeah, when I saw that Yale sent out interviews, I wanted to go lie in the yard and stare at the sun. I'm starting another play instead. It's not as self-destructive, I guess.

Edited by SeaLou

Did anyone else who applied to Ohio receive an opaque email from Charles Smith? It thanked me for applying and explained the program's timeline for making decisions (offers tendered by mid-March). Then it closed with this line: 

"Thank you again for your interest and best of luck to you in finding a graduate program that suits your needs."  

Since lavendercloud was notified yesterday about interviews, I figured that I was out of the running. Still, this email raises more questions than it answers. It's not a rejection--but then what is it? 

Edited by genericincognito

Gang,

I know that Juilliard staggers everything. They take their SWEET time. They sent me my interview semi final email in April, and then second interview in May- rejected last year late May. Tears through the summer.

Not sure about the other programs.

Genericincognito-

I got the same email. It stumped me for a while but I took it simply as a thank you and we hope the best in case things don't work out at Ohio. Then again, I've been compulsively checking myOhio so that's simply what I'm assuming since it doesn't say rejected or anything on those lines.

Barista, Singsalot, and genericincognito...hang in there! You've still waiting on some great programs and I'm guessing that Ohio is still up in the air even if you got that email. Sounds like they're trying to keep applicants informed and the part you quoted sounds a lot like what he told me. Here's the whole text:

"Thank you for your application to the MFA Playwriting Program at Ohio University.  We have received your materials and appreciate your interest in our program.

"I've reviewed your materials and think you have a strong application. I’d like to speak with you about your work and answer any questions you may have about our program. Is there a time we could talk? Either this week or next?

"Hope you’re well and best of luck in finding a program that suits your needs."

Since he hasn't gotten back to me to schedule an interview yet, I'm guessing they're still working their way through contacting people. They may do another round of phone interviews with other applicants - if they're not doing visits they don't really have to commit to a shortlist. For me it's down to Ohio and Iowa at this point, as UCLA seems to have done interviews and I didn't make the shortlist at UCSD, though I'm not counting those two *completely* out until I get an actual rejection (unlike Yale for which I'm obviously out of the running). And the more I look at and hear about Ohio, I'm getting really excited about it - but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, because that led to a lot of heartache last year. "Brutal" is definitely the right word about this process. Up until yesterday I was pretty much resigned to giving up on grad school altogether... O_O

Hi all,

I've been accepted to the low-residency programs at Hollins and The University of Nebraska, and I'm debating whether the degree will be worth the cost. Does anyone here happen to know the reputation of these programs? Any info at all would be helpful. Thank you!

I don't know about Nebraska but isn't Hollins about $10k a year for several years? That's certainly less than full-residency programs but still a lot. Is either program offering scholarships? What are you hoping to get out of an MFA? Would you be paying outright or taking out loans?

Hi Lavender Cloud!

Yes, both Hollins and U Neb would be a bit more than $10K a year for at least 3 years. I am still waiting to hear if I am up for any scholarships & if I don't get them, I would have to take out loans, unfortunately. And I hate to sound horribly naive, but the only two things I want out of an MFA program are 1) to become a better writer and 2) to make contacts that might benefit me professionally later on. I'm sure both programs would help me with each of those goals to some degree or other, but I question whether the benefits would outweigh the costs. That's why I was hoping to ask for advice, rumors or any information whatsoever that might help me make a decision. Thanks for replying!

CardinalBiggles-

I have a good friend that is in his second year at Nebraska and loving it- he's a super talented writer, and I'm watching his stuff get better. He says the "retreat-like" time there is invaluable.

I'm primarily a playwright, so I don't have a host of other options to fall back on if this whole thing doesn't work out for me, or to help me pay off loans if I take on more debt. I've been interning at theaters since college so I haven't yet held a "real job" (i.e. full-time with salary, benefits, or even minimum wage), nor have I had any help from family to pay for education or living expenses since high school. If I were in a different situation I can certainly see the benefit of investing in an MFA, but as it is, my primary reasons for going are to have 3 years to focus on my writing more and worry about money less, and to learn through production of my work. I guess my suggestion would be that, if you're making an extra $10k a year that you can afford to invest in one of those programs, I bet it could be very worthwhile and probably more helpful than a lot of piecemeal workshops and classes over a three-year period, especially if you have to hustle 5x more to get anything produced. But if you're talking about taking on loans...how are you going to pay those off? Do you anticipate your income going up significantly after you get an MFA? How? How long would it take you to pay them off on your current salary? And what are your alternatives for becoming a better writer and making more contacts in theater?

Anyway, your original question was about reputation - I've heard really positive things about Hollins and I know it's on the list to submit to the Alliance/Kendeda award (http://alliancetheatre.org/content/submit-your-work) while I haven't heard of Nebraska and it's not on that list. Not to knock on Nebraska as it sounds like it's great for Zissou's friend, just a note about reputation since it sounds like that's important to you.

On another note, I am thinking of developing new skills that would help me get a real job, or to freelance in the theater world - currently I'm really interested in graphic design. What do the rest of you do when you're not writing plays?

Edited by lavendercloud

Lavendercloud -

In regards to your question about time away from plays, I'm currently looking for theatre internships and/or real jobs (part-time work). I just got my undergrad in December so I'm a little unsure as to what to do while not applying for and hoping to get into graduate school. I've thought about working in Europe for a while, getting a work visa or doing volunteer work. In all honesty, though, I'm really not fucking sure what to do. Speaking on debt, I'd like to find something to pay off loans while waiting for grad school.

I think learning another trade, specifically one that might inform the aesthetics of your pieces, like graphic design, is a good way to go.

Do you do any other sort of writing you can see yourself earning some income while playwriting? Poetry, fiction, etc?

@Cardinal- I've heard great things about Hollins. But for me, I wouldn't take out loans. Unless you have the means to pay them while going to school? I would just work hard and try and get into on the many fully (or mostly funded programs. Is there a reason your looking at low-res programs?

@lavender- How long have you been out of college? Have you been paid as an intern or for your writing to support yourself otherwise?

I've been out of college for a few years. Not many. But I just work in an office. I sit in front of the computer all day. But I have LOADS of time to write at work. I have nights and weekends to rehearse, create, write, film, and see shows. 

I agree with SeaLou, going with something that is creative and could potentially help enhance your writing. I think it's a good way to go. It keeps your brain stimulated and creative. Working a job that's not stimulating is more exhausting, I think. 

Edited by tate12

@SeaLou: In undergrad, I double-majored in theater and English. I've done fiction writing and I thought about becoming a freelance content writer, but lost interest pretty quickly. I'm also an excellent editor but haven't yet turned that into income. @Tate: I've been out of college nearly 4 years. The first 3, I received a fellowship from my undergrad institution that helped me do an unpaid apprenticeship the first year and unpaid internship the next, and I was living with my ex who helped me out with other expenses. I also got EBT (food stamps) for most of that time. Then I moved again for a paid internship, so last year I had the income from both that and the fellowship. When I didn't get into grad school last year the theater decided to extend my internship for another year but to make it part-time, so my actual hours worked reflect closer to $10/hr than the $5/hr I was making last year (pre-taxes). But given the move, a breakup, and reaching the end of the fellowship funding, it's been much more of a struggle the past year to make ends meet, and I've run up some debt that's not easy to tackle on my current income. I'm actually starting another job for the theater tomorrow - I'll be working in the small restaurant/concessions business they run during shows. I won't get a ton of shifts, but it's something. Hopefully patching together some other part-time income over the next few months. I have lots of experience in childcare and teaching, and briefly did some housekeeping for a couple families at one point. I don't have experience in retail or much in food service so a lot of the typical options have been tough to gain traction with, and I only got my driver's license about a year and a half ago, so I was pretty limited before that. The other part-time career I've considered is teaching yoga, but I don't have the money for a teacher training so I was holding off, and now I think I'm more interested in pursuing graphic design. I think it'd be pretty awesome to be able to do promotional materials for my own plays, too! Theater education also has some interesting positions and options and I'm pretty well-prepared for that given my current position. I'm actually teaching a weeklong residency for 40 girls next month, ages 12-16. Think that's gonna be equal parts wonderful and utterly exhausting...

My Ohio interview will be Monday morning, and I've continued to get solicitations from the LMDA listserv, which is pretty exciting! Any advice? I'm trying not to be nervous but I don't want to get my hopes up again like last year with UCSD :/ Guess I'm just hoping that if I'm a good fit for the program things will work out. Wish I knew anything about the schools y'all are asking about!! It's still only February - most schools are far from done with their processes.

Thank you all for responding to my original post - your advice was very helpful. Perhaps I should explain my situation a bit more - I am 45 and thus have been in the workforce for many, many (too many) years now. And I teach high school, which would make a summer program very doable for me. That's one reason why I'm interested in lo-res programs; the other is that I applied to full-time programs last year and got no response (I'm not getting any response this year, either, as it happens). My salary isn't great, but I could afford loans if I needed to take them out. So I know I could potentially pay for these programs, but I still don't know if it's worth the cash outlay. That's what I'm debating and why I'm looking for advice. If anyone else has information you could pass along, I'd very much appreciate it!

@Lavendercloud

Do you have any resources for internships? I'm scouring Playbill and still have good contacts with professors but I was wondering if you had any personal resources? I realize, of course, those you mentioned were reliant on your institution.

I'm living about an hour outside of Austin, TX and I can't seem to find any local theatre positions in Austin or San Antonio.